Plumbing question.

bpitts4

Market
Reaction score
When plumbing a Reef Ready 180g, what size pipe do you use or is there a standard size? I was going with 1 1/4 inch but cant seem to find check valves, bulkheads and other plumbing items in that size. Whats abundantly available is 1 1/2 inch. So is the standard 1 1/2 inch pipe and fittings? I could make the 1 1/4 inch peices work by utilizing adapters and so on but wanted to know what is standard.

Thanks guys....in the final stages before I start the build thread!!!!

I just plumbed a 120 with 1" on the return and 1.5" on the down spout. I agree that 1" and 1.5" are in much greater abundance at the local hardware stores. All your unions, valves, etc, are much cheaper and less bulky in the 1" size. I was looking at a 1.5" true union yesterday and the thing was HUGE. I would need a basement sump room to have enough space for that equipment. I would think it depends on how many lines you will be feeding on the return to see if you can get the sufficient flow rate on 1" piping..

So it sounds like I should run the drain lines at 1 1/2 and the return at 1 1/4. I have a trunk line coming off of the return line that will eventually feed a few reactors. I am using the reeflo dart/snapper hybrid pump. I think I will be ok with this setup. Any other suggestions....

Back