Pod spa

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
Wanted to go in a different direction with the HOB refugium . Really focusing on pods and using the fuge to raise food for the main display inhabitants. Went with bioblocks and cubes in the bottom for a substrate vs sand . Will have some chaeto tomorrow . Already been stocking the tank with pods heavily before adding any fish to help them take hold .

Looking at adding anything else that may help feed the tank . Possibly peppermint shrimp ? They have a cluster of eggs about 1 time a month . If I get a pair to keep in the fuge you think the eggs/ fry would be be a beneficial snack ? Any other ideas ?

Trying to keep pellet feeding to a minimum as a preventative measure. Also if I need to rid some pest anenomes I'll have a crew on hand .

Great foundation you are laying! I dont get along well with pepermint shimp. They always end up picking at and destroying some of my corals. Might just be the ones I have gotten in the past though. Just my two cents. :)

I really plan on keeping them in the fuge just for egg production . Unless there's some better ideas for free food .

Pods and mysis shrimp. I was able to collect some mysis shrimp from members on here and from Atlanta Aquarium. They took a few tries to get them to take hold but they're all over the place in the fuge now and I see a few in the display from time to time but they do get snatched up quickly.... I'd be happy to try and harvest some for you. They are fairly fast but open water swimmers.

I think one of the keys is to have a safe haven for pods to populate within the display. I think it was @enderg60 who recommended putting some rubble rock in netting and hiding it in the rockwork. This will make like lil pod hotels where fish can't get in and eat them as readily.

Pods and mysis shrimp. I was able to collect some mysis shrimp from members on here and from Atlanta Aquarium. They took a few tries to get them to take hold but they're all over the place in the fuge now and I see a few in the display from time to time but they do get snatched up quickly.... I'd be happy to try and harvest some for you. They are fairly fast but open water swimmers.

I think one of the keys is to have a safe haven for pods to populate within the display. I think it was @enderg60 who recommended putting some rubble rock in netting and hiding it in the rockwork. This will make like lil pod hotels where fish can't get in and eat them as readily.

Mysis shrimp would be awesome . Never seen a live one

Sometime they swim in little swarms. Hard to catch but if I have time I'll try to bring some tomorrow. :)

Make sure you got lots of algae for them to feed on! or atleast that is what I've heard.

I drip about 20 drops of phyto in the fuge with the current off , let it settle about 10 min then turn it back on . Then it drains back into the main tank .

Back