Pods, ich, or something else?

ptcpilot

Market
Reaction score
I woke up early this morning and noticed pods all over the glass on the tank. I also noticed my royal gramma covered in white spots. I was concerned that it might be ich but the spots were gone in a few hours. Do pods collect on swimming fish or should I be concerned it is something else?

Thanks

Sounds like both. Can you post pics of the fish when he has the spots?

I can try to get a picture but I am usually not up that early :yawn: If it is ich, I have heard there is a product that will treat the whole tank without hurting the corals and does not require QT of the fish...do you know the name of it?

Ruby Reef makes a reef safe product called "Kick Ich" but it is really hit or miss. First...prior to any treatment, make sure it really is ich. You would hate to dump chemicals and all that stuff in just to find out is isn't. I would also suggest prior to using chemicals, supplementing with garlic such as Garlic Power, Garlic Guard, etc. Soak your food in it prior to feeding. The fish normally like it and it helps their immune system. A lot of times a fish a can rid itself of ich if it is strong enough. Also, feed heavy and keep them eating. Keep the stress levels down and turn the lights off for as long as you can do without them ie: without hurting your corals. Raising the temp of the tank also accelerates the life cycle of ich and the only time ich can be killed is when it's in the free swimming (invisable) stage.

Hope all goes well...good luck.

Don't worry...I am not going to jump the gun and dump something in the tank without a more positive ID...no sense needlessly stressing the rest of the tank.

This morning was the only time I have observed this condition. I think I had a pod explosion overnight since there were literally thousands of tiny pods all over the glass...the gramma was eating them up as fast as she could once the lights came on. :) The spots have not come back all day.

Back