Poll: Tank temp?

What temperature to you keep your tank?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
This is strictly out of curiosity. I keep mine usually right around 78.5, just wondering what everyone else does!

I think the 77-79 temp range is fine. Mine is set for 77-78 so I’ve got some buffer in the summer when it gets hot but once my fan kicks on the temp drops pretty fast.

I
I think the 77-79 temp range is fine. Mine is set for 77-78 so I’ve got some buffer in the summer when it gets hot but once my fan kicks on the temp drops pretty fast.
just got an inkbird for my primary heater and a finned controller for my backup heater. So far not impressed with either. My tank was a little cool yesterday so I bumped it up a little and woke up this morning to an 80 degree reading. I’ve dropped it down so it should slowly cool back down some.

Fwiw, if I couldn’t validate the accuracy of a temp controller within it’s stated range, then I would return it. What’s the point?

I’ve used both an Apex and Ranço controllers without problems, to back up heaters. Never an Inkbird. I always set the controller at least as much higher than the combined ranges of both the heater & controller. That’s usually about 4 degrees. Reason is, this prevents ‘chatter’ between the heater & controller should their ranges overlap and both try to control at the same time. You should avoid that scenario. Under normal operation the heater works. The controller is only there as a backup, should the heater fail.

I use a 600W BRS titanium heater. Doesn't have a thermostat and requires a controller to make it work. My Apex controls it, and my tank doesn't fluctuate more than .4 degrees, ever. Even with my windows open last night (i love the cold!) it dropped to 77.6 at its lowest :D

In the case of heaters with no internal thermostat, I would still run two layers of control. Redundancy works, if done right.

Just curious, but what is the proximity of the temp probe to the heater? Upstream, downstream or nearby?

In the case of heaters with no internal thermostat, I would still run two layers of control. Redundancy works, if done right.

Just curious, but what is the proximity of the temp probe to the heater? Upstream, downstream or nearby?
Upstream. The probes are in the first chamber of the sump because I thought that would be most accurate representation of tank water temp. Heaters are in the second chamber with the skimmer and UV pump. I need to up my technical game because I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed by trying to keep everything stable and monitored with relative accuracy. I keep multiple thermometers. One is a normal (non digital), one is an independent digital that Leo suggested and 2 are temp controller probes

So as you can see Inkbird is set to 79.0 and according to it, the current temp is 78.8, the independent digital is reading 79.2 and the in tank 78.0 then there’s the Finnex that is reading 80!! Not one agrees with another. It’s frustrating

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
So, I copied this from an Inkbird ITC-308 dual display temp controller for sale on Amazon-

Dual Display
Temperature Control Range:-50~120 °C / -58~248 ° F
Temperature Resolution:0.1 ° C / 0.1° F
Temperature Accuracy:±1°C (-50 ~ 70°C) / ±2°F (-58 ~ 160° F)

That last spec “Temperature Accuracy...of +/-2 deg F”, means that the accuracy range is actually 4 degrees.

You can’t expect it to be any more accurate than that. While it might be, don’t expect it.

Yes I did read that in the instructions which is why I have multiple thermometers but when it is controlling the thing it gets dicey. I’ve unplugged my heater from it but still have it turned on. At the very least it will alarm if temps are outside my high and low parameters and it also has an app on my phone that has a very persistent and annoying alert. That for sure works! Temp probe one day had gotten dislodged and it squawked loudly at me until I fixed it. Thank
You!!!

So, I copied this from an Inkbird ITC-308 dual display temp controller for sale on Amazon-

Dual Display
Temperature Control Range:-50~120 °C / -58~248 ° F
Temperature Resolution:0.1 ° C / 0.1° F
Temperature Accuracy:±1°C (-50 ~ 70°C) / ±2°F (-58 ~ 160° F)

That last spec “Temperature Accuracy...of +/-2 deg F”, means that the accuracy range is actually 4 degrees.

You can’t expect it to be any more accurate than that. While it might be, don’t expect it.
There is also a calibration setting so you can swing it to hit closerer

You should include 75* and 76* in this poll too.

In my experience, 76-78* is where most people keep their temps.

and anecdotally, 79-80* is where I notice many common coral and anemone species start to exhibit stress.

Keep mine between 76-78. When higher, they definitely show stress.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You should include 75* and 76* in this poll too.

In my experience, 76-78* is where most people keep their temps.

and anecdotally, 79-80* is where I notice many common coral and anemone species start to exhibit stress.
I don’t think I can edit the poll at this point but my temp was up to 80 overnight which stressed ME out. Maybe it’s why my corals aren’t happy today? All the fish seem fine but lots of closed poyps today even now that the temp is back to normal, which for my tank is 78.5 ish

Fwiw, from NOAA -

“Reef-building corals cannot tolerate water temperatures below 64° Fahrenheit (18° Celsius). Many grow optimally in water temperatures between 73° and 84° Fahrenheit (23°–29°Celsius), but some can tolerate temperatures as high as 104° Fahrenheit (40° Celsius) for short periods.”

78 deg F would be right in the middle of their ‘optimal’ range.

That short period temp of 104 is on the Great Barrier Reef, during the lowest ebb tides, as I recall.

I use the seasonal adjustment feature of the Apex. It simulates the temperature change of the ocean between summer and winter. 75 for a couple weeks in January, 80 for a couple weeks in August and somewhere between those 2 points the rest of the year. The program seems to spend most of the year between 77 and 78.

I figure this way, all life in my tank gets some time at it's preferred temperature.

Back