Pond Scum?

RonS

Reaction score
So, there is some clear “slime” accumulating on the surface in several of my sump chambers. I have been skimming it out with a mesh net, but it’s a pain. Any insights on better ways to get it out? Should I be worried that it’s there? I seem to remember it on previous tanks, but it has been a while!

Thanks!!

—Ron

The sump is a 40B. I’m pulling probably 750+ gph through it, though different zones get different flow.

I do have some chaeto in the fuge area that hasn’t been doing so well (too short photoperiod when I first bought it). It’s finally starting to green back up, but I’m wondering if decaying chaeto is contributing (the “pond scum” predates the chaeto, but it has gotten worse lately)

The sump is a 40B. I’m pulling probably 750+ gph through it, though different zones get different flow.

I do have some chaeto in the fuge area that hasn’t been doing so well (too short photoperiod when I first bought it). It’s finally starting to green back up, but I’m wondering if decaying chaeto is contributing (the “pond scum” predates the chaeto, but it has gotten worse lately)
That could be exactly what's happening

When you have that much flow running through the sump there's likely to be some wave action going on in the center chamber. That up and down motion is likely to leave a residue line and if it's the fuge section the light will get film algae growing good there too. When the build up got too much for me I would clean it during a water change. Gently scrap it off with a plastic putty knife and either net it or suck it out with the out going water.

I have the same thing and pond scum is a good way to describe it. Thankfully it's only in th very last chamber where the return pump is. I guess I could do something about it but I'm lazy and just let it be. It's also where the sensor eye for my ATO is located. I know this could potentially cause a problem but I like to live on the edge.

Thanks, all - good to know it’s not “just me”. It was happening mostly in the return chamber, but now that I’m dumping The output of my UV there, it’s getting more agitation. But that’s also reduced flow in the preceding chambers (which are now getting the pond scum). It all makes sense, just making sure I wasn’t missing something obvious.

Thanks again!!

Back