Poor Mans Moonlights

exodas

Market
Reaction score
Since I have setup my new tank I have tried to think of the best way to add some moonlights to my tank that wouldnt break the bank and wouldnt be an eyesore. Probably about a month ago I saw a nice diy cheap moonlight setup that I thought would be perfect for my system.

Parts List
(1) 3 Beam Blue LED car accent lighting which I got from Wal-Mart for $8. You can completely pivot each LED to wherever you want them which was nice.

Picture004.jpg
alt="" />

(1) AC Wall adapter for car chargers which people have said you can get for a $1 at dollar stores but I searched and couldnt find one, but Wal-Mart also carries these and some other ones for around $10

acadaptercar_us_lg.jpg
alt="" />

The lights perfectly fit onto my clamp on MH and am glad that I could do this very cheaply.

Picture006.jpg
alt="" />

Picture011.jpg
alt="" />

Picture007.jpg
alt="" />

Picture005.jpg
alt="" />

weaglereefer;563894 wrote: Man I coulda given you one of those adapters.

Looks good, though!

You also could have given me that 20lb CO2 tank :p Did you sell all that stuff you brought to the meeting? Thanks Im pleased with how it turned out

WILLIAM1;563895 wrote: Ha thats not bad man.. I used something similar on my 180.

Oh nice what did you do for your moonlight setup?

very cool Jeff - way to use that engineering nugget of yours!!

gnashty;563963 wrote: very cool Jeff - way to use that engineering nugget of yours!!

The least Georgia Tech can do is let me have cheap moonlights right?

GAreefer;564001 wrote: I used those exact led's on my old tank. They worked perfectly!

I really enjoy them and my family is pretty impressed by the look they give the tank at night :thumbs:

I did almoat the same thing. With a little different style LEd form an auto parts store. Nice job.:up:

Yea auto parts stores have a ton of options with LEDs this one just so happened to be the ideal piece on my tank :thumbs:

gixxer600;564467 wrote: I did almoat the same thing. With a little different style LEd form an auto parts store. Nice job.:up:

Ive been looking for this setup for a while. I thought I saw it on YouTube. I think im gonna try the same thing on my 60

I say go for it! If you dont like it your only out less than 20 bucks.

carpenter981;572577 wrote: Ive been looking for this setup for a while. I thought I saw it on YouTube. I think im gonna try the same thing on my 60

I havnt tried them during the day yet. I will have to try that sometime this week and see if it makes a big difference.

superclown;572633 wrote: Have u tan them in the day at all? How do your corals look under them?

Judging by those night pictures, it should change the color a fair amount I'd think.

I did 4 blue led fog lights for under the front of a sporty car. Autozone... I ran them off a low voltage plug for a printer or something worked out great.

That looks pretty good. Wouldnt call those poor man moonlights at all. They appear to be working great!

I bought a set of these the other day but didnt want to pay Wal-Mart prices for the adapter and couldnt find it anywhere else cheaper than $8 so I ordered 2 off eBay for $3.18 shipped. Itll take a little longer to get here but Ill post some pics when I get it set up.

Oh nice. Looking forward to see how your tank looks!

carpenter981;574290 wrote: I bought a set of these the other day but didnt want to pay Wal-Mart prices for the adapter and couldnt find it anywhere else cheaper than $8 so I ordered 2 off eBay for $3.18 shipped. Itll take a little longer to get here but Ill post some pics when I get it set up.

Back