popping from tank

i want him if he is indeed a mantis. I will loch him in a 10 gallon for all of eternity. that will teach him a lesson.

im about to do the old coke bottle trap in the tank and if i catch him and it is a shrimp i woudl love to give it a home i mean after all he didnt ask to be put in the tank he is just acting natural so i will keep everyone informed of how it goes

hate to say it but remove all the rock and fish from the tank..let it sit about 5 hours..put the live rock back in..No popping sound?..Then My guess would be the clown warning off any kind of threat..I have actually expierenced the sound of a screaming clown LOL

but if it was a screaming clown what took off the other clowns tail and took a chunk out of his top fin??

these clowns were in the same tank at SWC and they were together in this biocube for at least 36 hours and we never saw any type of violence or hostility from either clown towards eachother. So even if a chalk up the noise to a screaming clown how do i explain the missing fins from the dead clown?

I'd keep an eye on your levels (esp amonia) now that you left the rock out for an hour just in case you get a mini cycle, also, keep baiting the trap every night, it took me 2 weeks to catch my mantis 4 years ago, but I finally got the sucker, and my LFS gave me a credit for it, so don't just up and kill it, they're usually worth money!

Mantis can live in moist rock for quite some time....Think about this...(using Tampa Bay because they are known for MS) If you order rock from TBS it more then likely will not be submerged and only damp with newspaper for atleast 12 hours..People still get tons of them from the company..

I have always heard to do this... either
A: put the rock in super saline water...they will come out pretty fast.
B: or fill a bucket with club soda and dunk the rocks in it...supposed to come out almost the instant the mantis gets some CS

That is indeed if its a mantis...but then again...Anything in the rock will come out if you use either trick..
Good Luck

thank you,
i will try these options when i get home this afternoon, i baited a trap and checked it all night long and got nothing. I did hear the clicking/popping noise about 2 times after we turned the lights off but never saw anything physically.

thanks again for all of the help

Could it be the hermit crabs fighting for a shell?
I've heard a clicking noise come from my tank before and found two hermit crabs fighting over a shell. Just a thought.

jaydm93teg;211338 wrote: thank you,
i will try these options when i get home this afternoon, i baited a trap and checked it all night long and got nothing. I did hear the clicking/popping noise about 2 times after we turned the lights off but never saw anything physically.

thanks again for all of the help

It's a nano!! The fish cannot be that difficult to catch. Why let the second clownfish remain in danger after witnessing what happened to the first one??? IMO, it's irresponsible fish-keeping and downright cruel.

If you don't have a separate tank for the clown, at least float a colander in the nano so he has some protection. You can get a colander for around a buck at Wal-Mart.

pACE2-953696reg.jpg
alt="" />

If I were close to your area, I'd come and rescue the fish myself.

Heck, I might just do it anyway.

:'(

linda your idea is being put to use but my question is this.....i have been told its not a mantis it is normal clown noises and stuff so to eliminate any possibility of it being a mantis i am going to dip all of the rock in a solution as stated before if i do this and nothing comes out am i safe to put all the rock back in and take the colander out? just not sure where to go from the point of taking all the rock out dipping it nothing come out of the rock so then what? its not a mantis and all is well or should i keep a trap in there and leave the colander in for the clown?

jaydm93teg;211399 wrote: linda your idea is being put to use but my question is this.....i have been told its not a mantis it is normal clown noises ?

I've never known of clownfish to make noises to the extent that they lop off their own tails.

You either have a predator or a vicious power-head or something that is doing damage. This is your g/f's tank, right? And you have a tank of your own somewhere? If so and if you have a 'fuge that's where I'd put the piece of L/R that you suspect might be harboring a hitch-hiker. Then you could leave the trap in there for however long it takes. But with a mantis, it could be awhile. We have a mantis that has carved so many little caves in his piece of real estate, we'd never be able to get him out short of breaking apart the rock. He does come out to take food from a skewer though. Have you tried putting a tasty treat on a skewer? You can leave it propped against the L/R and watch from a distance.

i just thought of this.....in the tank at SWC there was about 6 or 7 clowns do you think the 2 i got just happend to not pair up and one of em killed the other one???

the only thing about this is i never saw any aggression out of either one of these guys. The only reason i have half way moved past the mantis is because you only hear a pop maybe 1 or 2 times every 2 hours and the pop is pretty quick 2 separate pops at the most never more (i was under the impression mantis pop numerous times and they do it often)....i have put brine shrimp in the trap and feed the tank i havent seen anything.....there is a pretty large snail in there that could be popping against the glass with his shell but i dont know if it would be that loud or that often.

I am almost at a point of doing a 15 gallon water change from my 80 gallon, taking that 15 gallons of water and putting it in my empty 29 gallon then placing every single piece of rock from the bio cube into the 29 gallon tank with a powerhead, place all 4 pieces of rock at one end of the 29 and a few pieces of shrimp and a trap at the other end of the 29 so i would have to see the mantis or predator cross the tank to get to the food........at least this way the clown and the coral would be at ease and i wouldnt lose everything that is in/on these pieces of rock.

i dont know im just out of ideas.............ahhhhhhh haha mexican restraunt margarita special here we come haha....

I would just like to thank everyone who has replied quickly and given me suggestions and feed back on this situation. Also thank you to all the people who have just come in and had to waste their time listening to me ramble back and forth about this problem. I will keep you guys posted on what comes of this situation

THANKS ARC

We have a mantis in a 2-1/2 gal bowfront and it's on the bar in the kitchen where I spend a good amount of time.

I rarely hear it make a sound. Maybe smashers make more noise than spearers, I don't know.

I think y'all are overreacting to the mantis threat. IF it is a Mantis hitchhiker, and I doubt it, it's most likely a smasher type (don't make me get out the latin names!) not a stabber...which means that your hermits are more at risk than your fish. The single pop still sounds to me like a pistol shrimp more than a mantis--and I've had multiples of both.

Backing up, you first noticed the clown on the sand bed with no tail. What came first, the sand or the missing tail? If the clown was ill and on the sand, the hermits could have removed the tail. And previous signs of illness for the clown?

I can come over and look/listen to see if we can figure it out. You're also welcome to put the remaining clown in my fuge or I've got a 12 gal tank you're welcome to borrow.

LMK

jaydm93teg;211414 wrote: i dont know im just out of ideas.............ahhhhhhh haha mexican restraunt margarita special here we come haha....

Casa Vieja? No, wait....their's is Wednesday!...

If it is a mantis or a pistol shrimp, keeping the rock out of the water for a few hours probably wouldn't have a negative impact as others have said. You could try dipping the rock in RO/DI water, if it is either of these guys I would think they would quickly come out of the rock rather quickly.

Having said that, I doubt that it is a mantis shrimp that is both making a clicking noise and tearing the tail off a clownfish. The smashers make clicking noises by smacking their appendages against something like rock or shells and bludgeon their prey to death. The other type, spearers, stab and rip prey apart but I don't think they make noises.

If it is a pistol shrimp making the noise and tearing the clown apart then I would think it would take it somewhere and eat it. I don't think these things typically kill prey and then leave it for others to eat.

DrNecropolis;211327 wrote: Mantis can live in moist rock for quite some time....Think about this...(using Tampa Bay because they are known for MS) If you order rock from TBS it more then likely will not be submerged and only damp with newspaper for atleast 12 hours..People still get tons of them from the company..

Your point is valid, they probably won't come out of the moist rock in 12 hours, however Tampa Bay (note this was 5 years ago) shipped my rock to me submerged in water, so my mantis shrimp rode in luxury lol.

Back