Potter's angel

kernelpanic

Market
Reaction score
Thinking about trying one. Though I am worried about my LPS, palys, and inverts. Any thoughts or experiences on "mixed reef" compatability?

The only angels that are reef safe are of the Genicanthus family.

All dwarf angels will potentially eat corals. Flame's and coral beauty's are the only dwarfs that can be considered "reef safe" in a sense. But any other will eat coral, it may just be days/weeks/months...

Do it at your own risk.

Inverts are totally safe. Only thing to worry about are coral, SPS, LPS, and zoa/palys.

Like Steve said, my Flame Angels and my Fischer's Angel have left my corals alone but I have very little SPS. I have never seen them pick on zoas or any other soft coral in my tanks. But I may just be lucky.

Steve;264287 wrote: The only angels that are reef safe are of the Genicanthus family.

All dwarf angels will potentially eat corals. Flame's and coral beauty's are the only dwarfs that can be considered "reef safe" in a sense. But any other will eat coral, it may just be days/weeks/months...

<span style="color: red">Do it at your own risk.</span>

Inverts are totally safe. Only thing to worry about are coral, SPS, LPS, and zoa/palys.

+1

My Potter's is a model citizen except will pick to death feather dusters and maybe brains ( One died and I don't know why other than it may have been picked). Other than those two items, he's never messed with any inverts, SPS, other LPS, softies, etc.

chauwall;264320 wrote: My Potter's is a model citizen except will pick to death feather dusters and maybe brains ( One died and I don't know why other than it may have been picked). Other than those two items, he's never messed with any inverts, SPS, other LPS, softies, etc.

Not yet ,lol.

Steve;264287 wrote: The only angels that are reef safe are of the Genicanthus family.

Do it at your own risk.

My buddy has a potters angel in his 90 reef, does fine and no nipping.

Do you have experience with one picking on coral? I've had mine for 4 years. I also have a cherub angel for 4 years. Both are great.

chauwall;264337 wrote: Do you have experience with one picking on coral? I've had mine for 4 years. I also have a cherub angel for 4 years. Both are great.

Actually, Yes I have. No more Dwarf Angel's for me. Not worth it, IMO. You have had success and that is great! My hats off to you, but others may get a fish that does not "behave".

James S.;264339 wrote: Actually, Yes I have. No more Dwarf Angel's for me. Not worth it, IMO. You have had success and that is great! My hats off to you, but others may get a fish that does not "behave".

Me too. These are one of those fish that are borderline "reef safe", but there are a large amount of them that happen to be okay (Chau's being one of them).

Your inverts will be fine though.

I WISH mine would eat those darn paly zoos and xenia! LOL! Anyway, I agree that angels are not supposed to be reef safe. So, try at your own risk.

Mines not a nipper as well. Pretty good fish thus far. Granted I don't have much in my tank that I would really be sad if it did nip on.

Thanks everyone. I think I will take a pass for now. Most of my LPS and palys are young frags, so if I got a nipper I would lose everything fast.

BTW the reason for asking: Creation Reef had two healthy looking specimens on Saturday eating pellet!

Most eat pellets pretty regularly so that's nothing too hard to do.

But with any angel besides the Genicanthus family can potentially eat coral, just remember that when you go to try to get one.

I'm wondering if much has to do with the way a tank is fed? We have a thriving refugium and also feed our tank regularly with a variety of foods. Our potters angel never bothered anything. Granted, we had no SPS though.

I have a Goldflake in my 210 and he is a good citizen so far. I feed 2x daily, so hopefully a well fed angel is less likely to nip.

I had a small potters, and he was aggressively destcructive to the polyps on teh corals. I keep numerous large angels, and never see them pick (although, im sure they do periodically). The potters just wouldnt stop.

Back