power out?

mopar9012

Market
Reaction score
is anyone worried about their power going out?
I dont have anything on back up stuff so all my powerheads, filters, and my heater will be out and of course my lights help keep heat in but that will be out.

my power keeps flickering. We have about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground.
It just stopped though.

I think the worst of the weather is over...I hope none of us loose power. :(

I think that the two biggest issues would be dissolved oxygen and the heat.

There are these battery-powered airstones I have heard about that will provide oxygen to the water that will keep everything alive until the power comes back on.

I suppose a UPS could power a heater, but I don't know how long the battery would make that last.

I wonder if there is some kind of insulating material that you can put around your tank if there is a power outage -- like a giant beer koozi-type thing?

if off a long time apparently you should take like a pitcher type thing and scoop a large scoop of water up and pour it back into the tank making a splash-(oxygen exchange)

good news! nmore flikering. *knocks on wood*

i must agree I think the worst is over.
but I still have no school tomorrow!:yay:

Don't know how close many of yalls tanks are to your garages/driveways, but you could go out and get a power inverter and an extension cord (not sure how safe that is) and run from your vehicle to the tank.

I currently have a few deep cycle marine batteries I keep on a trickle charger for the first few hours. If it appears that the power will be out overnight, I can pull my truck right up to the window behind the tank and hook up my 800watt power inverter inside the truck to a power strip with essentials: powerheads, heater, etc. I've idled my truck all night before tailgating and it doesn't use that much gas (much less than a tank full of fish and coral anyways).

We just got power back...It's been off since about 6 tonight. Thank goodness we have a generator. It's still going to be a long night. I've set my alarm on my cell phone to wake us up every 2 hours so we can make sure the power is on. We had 9+ inches over an hour ago and it is still coming down with no signs of stopping.....I like snow but being without power is scary!

im in auburn also and mine is doing the samething
mine went out and stayed out for about 25 min.

Mine is off since about 6... currently have a 150 ft extension cord running form my parking deck to my condo and have my heater, pumps, and powerheads running off my two power inverters. Hope this doesn't keep up all night.... and hopefully nobody steals my car

Where exactly is your parking deck? I'll come watch it for you. What kind of car should I be looking for. haha

My power went off about 9:30pm. It just came back on...I was planning on getting up about every 30-45 minutes to agitate water. Thank goodness I don't have to do that now. I hope I have really dodged this one.

joshl;299482 wrote: im in auburn also and mine is doing the samething
mine went out and stayed out for about 25 min.

ah sweet. I think you are the first one Ive heard of from auburn, GA.

LeeS;299545 wrote: Where exactly is your parking deck? I'll come watch it for you. What kind of car should I be looking for. haha

In Buckhead, behind two sets of parking gates and up 3 floors.

I have a battery backup for my skimmer and vortech..i'm not worried..unless its off for days or something..but i'll just rent a generator in that case

ZDaytonaRoadster;299579 wrote: I have a battery backup for my skimmer and vortech..i'm not worried..unless its off for days or something..but i'll just rent a generator in that case

really hard to rent a generator if there is wide spread power outages

ZDaytonaRoadster;299661 wrote: ^^uncle owns a rental place :)

Can I rent a dump truck just for driving around town? I'd love to roll up to school and park that in student parking, lol.

au01st;299706 wrote: Can I rent a dump truck just for driving around town? I'd love to roll up to school and park that in student parking, lol.

lol, i dunno if he's got anything that big? How about a cherry picker? :)

Back