Powerhead Question

siavashv

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am ordering a RedSea Max 250 and I wanted to get a powerhead to increase flow obviously. But I got a Koralife 1050 gph. I was wondering what you guys think about that? Is that a good size? or should I just go with a 1400 or bigger? I don't want to crowd the tank with two smaller powerheads but I wanted to know if the 1050 was good enough. I am totally new to the hobby and have never had a tank and trying to get the right equipment before I put it in. Any suggestions?

I had 2 Evolutions(1400) Koralia in a 90g. So, 2 1050's should be good...The new evolutions are smaller then the old K3's and 4's... You should be fine either way...

So you think I should get two 1050's? I thought just one would suffice. I do t know if the built in pumps are going to do all that I need but I would think that a single 1050 powerhead should do it. I am trying to get by with just one powerhead so that I don't have to crowd the tank up. But do you think it would be enough?

Built in pumps are not for flow but just to return the water back to the display. Your flow is really dependant on powerheads. So I would def go with two 1050's if not bigger pending on what type of coral you want to keep.

WOW! 2 - 1050 Powerheads?! I do not know what I want to keep exactly just yet, but if I need 2 - 1050 powerheads that is serious... The guy at the LFS said that the 1050 should be plenty.. but I guess that isn't really the case. I am starting slow but I really want to get my stuff (equipment) set before I start stocking stuff. For the time being I don't even have a ship date on my tank! So there is time to sort this stuff out. Thanks for the heads up... Anyone else have their input on the size and number of powerheads?

When I had a 65 I started with a single 1050 and ended up adding another one. I depends on what you want to keep but you can always buy an additional 1050 later if you think you need one. Two smaller ones give you more options for flow and would go that route over a single large one.

gmpolan;609598 wrote: Built in pumps are not for flow but just to return the water back to the display. Your flow is really dependant on powerheads. So I would def go with two 1050's if not bigger pending on what type of coral you want to keep.

in this case the return pumps are responsible for the flow too, at least that's what Red Sea is saying, it's just a bigger all in one so think biocube with stock pump.

Coolest thing to add and not crowd things would be one or even two MP10

misu;609616 wrote: Coolest thing to add and not crowd things would be one or even two MP10

That's basically what I ended up doing. I changed my rock structure and added a single MP40. When I first set up my tank I added flow to fit with the structure I built. When I revised my aquascape I planned it out to work with the one powerhead.

Ive got 2 of the 750s in my 60 gallon. I think its plenty of flow, I wouldnt want to add any more.

disaster! it seems that RedSea has a problem and has recalled the tanks from the distributor. The supplier is saying hopefully 3 weeks until they get a new shipment of non-defective tanks. God is testing my patience. AHHHH! Thanks for all the input guys. I will look into the MP10's.

Folks,
So I looked at the Vortech MP10's and they are like $220.00 on Amazon! Why so expensive? I bought one of the Koralife 1050's for like $55.00. Is the vortech that much better? If I want to get two Vortechs I will be spending a bunch of money... What do you guys think?

yes the vortechs are that much better. Like you i started with the koralias and now run 2 mp40's and 2 koralias 1450's in my 150. Buy once so you dont have to buy again....i would think two mp10's would do you great.

Back