Precipitated saltwater, to use or not to use?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I've read both opinions, yes it's fine or no, I would use it.

Long story short, I've got 20 gallons of IO made that's still cloudy after 24 hours. I believe its precipitated from adding the salt too quickly with warm water.

Does anyone see any harm in using this water?
Thanks

I don't. Happens to me now and then when I mix to quickly. I just let it settle out and siphon off from the top. Once I get down far enough on the mixing barrel....I just dump the remainder and rinse out the barrel.

Personally, I think all salt mixes precipitate out to a certain degree just that some may be less than others.

MarquiseO;991387 wrote: Time to switch salt?

I've never experienced that with RSCP or Salinity.

No it was totally my bad, wasn't thinking... I'm sure it would have happened with most salts.

I used salinity for over two years and it was the worst for precipitation.

I thinking of tossing 1/2 of it and adding 1/2 new...

barry_keith;991395 wrote: When I used RSCP it happend every time, regardless of how fast or slowly the salt was added to water. I used it for water change without any issue.

Do you dry mix your salt before use?

I just add the water to the bucket and add in the salt in scoops. 4 1/4 cups usually give me my desired specific gravity. I guess because I add each scoop at a time is the reason why I have never experienced it. My RO water is always room temperature which is roughly 75 degrees in my home.

barry_keith;991395 wrote: When I used RSCP it happend every time, regardless of how fast or slowly the salt was added to water. I used it for water change without any issue.

Do you dry mix your salt before use?

It's still cloudy after 24 hours?

No, I don't.

I had a few bags of RC that precipitated out badly. Have you tested it? I ended up with really low alk in the fresh salt water and had to bump it up.

i see no issue with it but like everyone said just test your calcium and alk and adjust the water accordingly if needed

tonymission;991399 wrote: I just use ESV :)
(Sorry)

I saw a RHF post the other day about a guy that had his ESV saltwater tested at Triton Labs. There were a few levels that he found concerning.

Like Barry I had the same experience with Red Sea, don't think it was coral pro but the kind in the blue bucket.

So I found a thread where RHF said it's harmless, it's precipitated solids and it doesn't matter if you keep mixing they will never dissolve. But ok to add to the tank.

showthread.php

For what it’s worth, I use Salinity and have noticed some undissolved solids and from time to time I have seen what I thought was precipitation (cloudy water). The cloudy water seems to happen at higher frequency when I use a heater in the mixing bucket, less if I mix at room temperature and heat after the mixing.

I have measured the ALK in cloudy water occurrences and not seen any concerns there. I have used the cloudy water (with undissolved solids) with no ill effects.

Tests were in range, I used 10 gallons of it and tossed the rest.
My water was very warm when I mixed.

Thanks for the RHF article :)

Ringo[emoji768 wrote: ;991471]I saw a RHF post the other day about a guy that had his ESV saltwater tested at Triton Labs. There were a few levels that he found concerning.

What did they find? Reef PEDs? Lol
I switched from TMPR based on Adam / Battlecorals recommendation and my sticks have never been happier and my mixes never more consistent. If there's something concerning on paper it hasn't seemed to translate to any of the users I know. Maybe that's the secret! ;)

I'd keep the solid stuff out and use the rest of the water, as long as the specific gravity is correct. That is an anomaly. I have never had that issue and have been using IO for years. Stop mixing it, let the solid stuff settle, and proceed like Porpoise said.

Acroholic;991506 wrote: I'd keep the solid stuff out and use the rest of the water, as long as the specific gravity is correct. That is an anomaly. I have never had that issue and have been using IO for years. Stop mixing it, let the solid stuff settle, and proceed like Porpoise said.

showthread.php

Back