Precipitated saltwater, to use or not to use?

I agree with Jeff and Dave. It happens to me sometimes, I use reef crystals and always premix my water and then procrastinate on water change a couple of days after mixing. I just use the clear water, toss the rest and rinse container after each use.

JDavid;991511 wrote: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137459">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137459</a>[/QUOTE]

Josh,
What am I supposed to be referencing from this?

Not disagreeing with you about the cloudy mix being an anomaly, it usually only happens when the mix is precipitated from being exposed to moisture. Salt mix readily absorbs moisture from the air and will precipitate in the bucket or bag, as we all know. Those solids will never dissolve completely, hence the cloudy water.

But the picture was just to reference the amount of precipitation that can occur over time in even properly stored and mixed IO showing that it is completely normal, it happens in your tank, in the bucket/bag of salt mix, and in storage/mixing containers

JDavid;991530 wrote: Second post, picture of Randy's brute that he mixes IO in.

Oh....OK. That is a solid residue that always accompanies salt mixes, all of them. It always attaches to the inside of the WC container, but it does not usually free floating like what Camellia is describing. I have that residue like Randy does, but it stays on the sides and bottom of the container. The anomaly is Camellia's IO water is not running clear after an hour or so of mixing, not that there is some reside attached to the bottom or sides of the mixing container.

I haven't used a salt mix yet that doesn't leave a residue on the surface of the mixing container over time.

tonymission;991399 wrote: I just use ESV :)
(Sorry)

im about to make my first batch right now..found someone getting out of the hobby that had only used enough for 10gal and sold the rest for $40..

tonymission;991497 wrote: What did they find? Reef PEDs? Lol
I switched from TMPR based on Adam / Battlecorals recommendation and my sticks have never been happier and my mixes never more consistent. If there's something concerning on paper it hasn't seemed to translate to any of the users I know. Maybe that's the secret! ;)

Here are the images from the post (not mine):

Reef Crystals:
185921d1413283843-reef-crystals-vs-esv-triton-test-image.jpg
alt="" />
185922d1413283899-reef-crystals-vs-esv-triton-test-image.jpg
alt="" />

ESV:
185923d1413284192-reef-crystals-vs-esv-triton-test-image.jpg
alt="" />
185924d1413284228-reef-crystals-vs-esv-triton-test-image.jpg
alt="" />

Back