Pressure Locking Sump Baffles

huskerreefatl

Market
Reaction score
I saw this article, actually there are a lot of similar articles out there, about using marine rubber weather stripping to add movable baffles to your sump. Has anyone does this? Also, are there concerns about chemical leaching from the rubber stripping? I would like to add a couple baffles to my sump but it is up and running and saw this as a possible way to do it.

Here is the article:http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/bafflesart.htm</a>

Thanks,
Carl

You'll just need to check the type of rubber and make sure there are no coatings or additives that would be harmful.

Btw, I went to the Huskers vs. Spartans game the other week...what a game!

An even easier way to accomplish this is to take an old felt filter sock and cut it into strips. Put the strips between the end of the baffle and the sidewall of the sump.....easy and done! Almost any kind of material will work for this purpose...any old filter media, a sponge, etc. If your sump is glass, you just have to make sure not to exert to much pressure on the walls or SNAP! The divider should slide in and out rather firmly but easily.

Good point plus I don't know how hard it is to find. When i find it, I will look for coatings or additives.

That was a good game. We needed a little luck this season since it has all gone against us so far. Are you a NU or MSU fan? Tough loss for MSU folks but they lucked out in the Michigan game anyway.

porpoiseaquatics;1059960 wrote: An even easier way to accomplish this is to take an old felt filter sock and cut it into strips. Put the strips between the end of the baffle and the sidewall of the sump.....easy and done! Almost any kind of material will work for this purpose...any old filter media, a sponge, etc. If your sump is glass, you just have to make sure not to exert to much pressure on the walls or SNAP! The divider should slide in and out rather firmly but easily.

Any concerns about the felt building up crud, where the rubber wouldn't?

Oh the rubber will. Don't allow yourself to fall into that. Anything in the water will build up over time. My experience has been that rubber gets it even faster. If the felt/mesh or whatever you use gets cruddy...just throw it out and replace. Why clean it?

porpoiseaquatics;1059965 wrote: Oh the rubber will. Don't allow yourself to fall into that. Anything in the water will build up over time. My experience has been that rubber gets it even faster. If the felt/mesh or whatever you use gets cruddy...just throw it out and replace. Why clean it?

Good point. I have some old felt filter socks that could be used for this. I will give it a shot. Thanks

Just be careful not to put too much pressure on the sides. That is the only downside to me. no way to gauge the pressure on the silicone joints of the aquarium.

huskerreefatl;1059961 wrote: Good point plus I don't know how hard it is to find. When i find it, I will look for coatings or additives.

Mcmaster has it. 2"x36" several thicknesses available here are a couple, 1/8" $8.26 and 1/4" is $13.33. I'm sure you can find it cheaper.

Personally I am not a fan of putting pressure on the glass in this manner. Just a little too much will crack the glass.

Interesting. I need to add another baffle as a bubble trap. I already have the piece of glass but would be too scared to do this. Pushing out the glass walls seems like a bad idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GaJeep94YJ;1060181 wrote: Interesting. I need to add another baffle as a bubble trap. I already have the piece of glass but would be too scared to do this. Pushing out the glass walls seems like a bad idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They say to cut the baffle 1/4 inch less than the interior width to leave 1/8" gap on each side that is filled by the rubber. I wouldn't think that you would want it to push too much on the sides but basically fill the gap.

huskerreefatl;1059961 wrote: Good point plus I don't know how hard it is to find. When i find it, I will look for coatings or additives.

That was a good game. We needed a little luck this season since it has all gone against us so far. Are you a NU or MSU fan? Tough loss for MSU folks but they lucked out in the Michigan game anyway.

I'm a UGA fan, but was there to cheer on the Huskers. I'm trying to go see good programs around the nation. A good friend lives up there, so that was stop #1.

Skriz;1060263 wrote: I'm a UGA fan, but was there to cheer on the Huskers. I'm trying to go see good programs around the nation. A good friend lives up there, so that was stop #1.
I am jealous. I haven't been to a home game in quite a few years but have gone to bowls. It is a nice place for games though and that one would have been fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

huskerreefatl;1060274 wrote: I am jealous. I haven't been to a home game in quite a few years but have gone to bowls. It is a nice place for games though and that one would have been fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

It was insane! I'll have to post some videos, especially the one of me scoring a diving TD on the field before the game (and in the same spot where the game winner was scored too!).

Back