Pressure treated wood

i always heard it can leach chemicals into your tank, just what i heard, so i use untreated

Overkill really.....

My first tank stand was made of pressure treated 4"x4"s on the legs, framed with 2x6's and skinned in 3/4" plywood, then trimmed out. All this for a 55 gallon tank. You could have driven a truck on it! It was as heay as the tank.

Actually PT wood is usually cheaper than non PT ...go figure...but I think when PT wood dries out, it 'bucks' and 'boes' maybe that's why??? It would make sense to me to use PT wood if there are no ill effects...but no real sure...tagging along to find the REAL answer-lol

haha....well mine is already built.....not PT wood.....stain grade maple actually. I was just curious because a buddy asked me why not use PT wood (because of water protection) and I didnt know the answer.

jt955;384627 wrote: i always heard it can leach chemicals into your tank, just what i heard, so i use untreated

that. dont use it.

Because pt wood provides protection against rot which will happen if burried on the ground or exposed to constant weather elements. Neither of which are present in a aquariums environment. The chemical aspect is another reason not to use it.

If you're making a nice stand, you can make it out of wood that is naturally mold/rot resistant (you absolutely do not need 2x4's to build a stand; in fact, they're generally overkill).

Pressure treated wood is very wet when you buy it and this is why it is so heavy.

When It dries it has a tendency to warp, buckle or bow like Eric said.

The other reasons about chemicals and fumes are poppycock.

Seedless Reefer;384735 wrote: The other reasons about chemicals and fumes are poppycock.

I guess that's from the days there were using arsnic? Or is that an old wives tale too :eek:

Several reasons:
As mentioned above the chemicals. They are a fungicide. Anything ending in (cide) is not going near my tank!lol .Fungas decays wood not water.
Typically pressure treated lumber is Southern Yellow pine which is an extremely strong would as far as load ratings go but not as strong as plywood. It is an highly unstable would as far as staying dimensionaly straight.
Does not finish well at all.
Total overkill. Stands and canopys are much stronger made out of plywood, if designed properly.
If you need rot resistant wood in your stand you need better plumbing skills first. Not to say anything can happen floods etc. but the wood should not rot if dried out properly which most of us would do.
The chemical now used to treat the wood is extremely corrosive as well. Stainless steel screws or galvinized nails are required.
Best use of syp treated wood is
Fences, decks, power poles, boat docks, NOT FURNITURE

One other thing if anyone is <u>determined</u></em> to use pt wood please use the kilndried version it is usually available from building supply companies by special order. Usually not available at HD

What about using Kilz to prime the inside? Oil-based or latex?

Seedless Reefer;384735 wrote: Pressure treated wood is very wet when you buy it and this is why it is so heavy.

When It dries it has a tendency to warp, buckle or bow like Eric said.

The other reasons about chemicals and fumes are poppycock.

THIS is why I'd never use it...

the changes that drying puts PT wood through is unpredictable to say the least..

Too many reasons not to use PT wood... nothing beneficial listed. Bottom line... why take a chance when there is no up side?

all those reasons are more than good enough for me. glad i didnt use it at all.

I can say that when I was working as a job super we were told not to burn the scraps of pt syp because of the hazards some of the newer stuff is safer but it is usually for outside use only

the "old way" to treat lumber used copper, cromium, and arsenic and/or some other unsavory products... also known as CCA lumber

now, I believe they use other copper compounds ACQ (alkaline copper quat) and CA (copper azole) there are two types of copper azole

while the copper is not great for the fish, the older arsenic wood is certainly deadly...

Fyi. Most of the preservatives , insect and fungi repellant used in pressure treated is predominatly copper based and/or borate base .
Chromated Copper Arsenate (CCA-C), Alkaline Copper Quat (ACQ-C, ACQ-D, ACQ-D Carbonate), Micronized Copper Quat (MCQ), Copper Azole (CBA-A & CA-B) and Sodium Borates (SBX/DOT).

Back