Problems after water change

pmdc

Supporting
Reaction score
Today I did a water change and added some cured manmade rock to my BC29 and after doing so all my corals closed up. My zoa's, sun coral and shrooms all shriveled up and my frogspawn's closed and war coral all slimed. My birds nest closed up and everything just looks mad. The fish all seem to be doing fine along with my plate and GSP. My water test shows everything in normal limits but did drop water temp down to 76 but is up to 78 now and no change. The only thing I did diff in todays water change is adding a few small rocks and I did clean out the back filters where my media was because I noticed it had a lot of junk back there. Also I did use for the first time some epoxy putty that I got from LFS thats made for aquascaping. Anyone got any ideas of what it could be?

I'm gonna say it's a mixture of all the above. Most man-made rock needs cured, so I'd watch your PH and make sure you don't get any huge swings. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to start mixing another 5 or so gallons for another water change just incase things don't start looking up.

I got the rock cured per LFS.... What about allelopathy even tho I didnt add any new coral but i did make my frogsqawn mad moving rock around.

Oh I am sure everything is slimming up good. You could be right, if that's the case then I'd do another water change. Even if the LFS sells you cured dry rock I'd still at the very least soak it for an hour or two. You never know what dust or chemicals have landed on it while either in transit to the store from the supplier or just sitting at the store.

True! Only one little prob.... I had to leave for work and and wont be back to do a water change until Friday... if its allelopathy or anything else for that mater that could be from rock or putty do you think it will be ok till Friday? Will allelopathy kill coral or just make everything mad for a while?

I have had my corals slime up and it never hurt anything. The putty if not mixed 100% will cause things to get pissed as well. I'd say everything should be okay.

Back