Problems with a used tank

york1

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok I just got a used 120 gallon tank. All is good with one exception. The bulkheads were siliconed on the inside of the tank. I got the bulkheads out but now it left a ring of old silicone. This is a very deep tank with fairly narrow overflows. I can not get to the bottom to scrape out the old silicone. Anyone have any tricks etc that might help me get all that silicone out?

You can try one of these. Search for "stainless steel algae scraper" on Amazon or Ebay. That's what I use for coralline algae.

519lGwYqGIL._SL1001_.jpg

It might make sense to remove remove the overflow clean it all up then resilicone it back in.

It might make sense to remove remove the overflow clean it all up then resilicone it back in.
That is probably what ill have to do. Hell I might as well reseal the whole tank at this point. I think this may be my last used tank

Braided fishing line cuts through silicone pretty good. Tie it to something you can used as handles. Just not metal or something that can scratch the glass.
Once the overflows are out use a razor blades to finish cleaning the glass.

Braided fishing line cuts through silicone pretty good. Tie it to something you can used as handles. Just not metal or something that can scratch the glass.
Once the overflows are out use a razor blades to finish cleaning the glass.
What about where it meets the seal at the bottom? If I gouge that I will have to reseal

I ran into the same issue with a used tank before. It took time, but I actually reached through the hole with a small razor scraper between 2 fingers and got it pretty clean. Very slow going and I had to be careful, but it worked.

Back