Problems with cats: ammonia?

Crew;1038570 wrote: NH3 is going to go airborne pretty much 100% of the time unless you stop it from doing so (keeping it in a gas container, for example). The problem with ammonia in your tank isn't going to be coming from ammonia gas. It's extremely difficult to contain, and on the off chance that you have it in your house, it's escaping pretty quickly pretty much straight up through your ceiling. There is pretty much nothing you could do in your house to cause a serious ammonia build up that you wouldn't immediately notice, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The issue very well could have come from ammonium hydroxide (household ammonia, windex, etc) although still unlikely in my opinion to have been caused by an airborne issue unless that issue was overspray (spraying windex near the tank, for example). Ammonium Hydroxide isn't going to evaporate Ammonium Hydroxide - it's going to evaporate Ammonia gas (NH3) and water vapor. But I wouldn't worry about them recombining in the air or in your tank. NH3 has an extremely low boiling point and is pretty much rocketing out of ammonium hydroxide the second it gets the chance. It's not going to recombine with any vapor that it comes across as it floats up either unless you have a serious source of gas or a serious source of water vapor (the aquarium would have to be huge).

In laymen's terms - if you opened a household bottle of Ammonia (ammonia hydroxide), it wouldn't take long before you had a bottle of water with some scents or dyes added and the nh3 was long gone.

Crew and Russ thank you for taking the time to explain the process.

I also appreciate it...can't wait to get home so I can test all my samples.

My wife is OCD with bleach in the nearby kitchen. I am on the road, otherwise I would google its chemical makeup... Possible cause?

JBDreefs;1038601 wrote: I also appreciate it...can't wait to get home so I can test all my samples.

My wife is OCD with bleach in the nearby kitchen. I am on the road, otherwise I would google its chemical makeup... Possible cause?

sodium hyperchlorite or NaClO is liquid chlorine with salt. same rules apply

Use any Windex in the area? That will put ammonia in the air - and the tank.

Use any air fresheners? Scented oil will kill a tank PDQ.

If there was that much ammonia in the air from the cats, you would smell it, unless you're nose-blind to it.

A dirty water container will take on a 'cat pee' smell (read: ammonia). I've seen this in instances where people use the same container to take out their waste water, and store new RO or saltwater (NOT recommended - using a dirty container for clean water contaminates it instantly). I'd find out when I'd open up a customer's water container to fill it with new water and POOOOF! A narsty whiff of yuck would come out. Needless to say that I wouldn't refill that container with clean new water.

Sounds to me like your pitcher is either dirty, or has had a contaminant introduced to it OR it's leaching something, but that is more likely to be phosphate than ammonia.

Jenn

tbh. the fact that your DT has ammonia registering is causing me to think 2 things.

1: your tank is new and you spiked it.
2: cat peeing in the tank or some contaminate is going to town.

i can dump an entire windex bottle in my tank and it would resolve itself in a few days. whilst im not going to prove it. i have done fishless cycling where i had to continually pour bottles and bottles of ammonia to obtain 2 ppm in a 220.

end result is nitrate. so no. not gonna do it to prove a point.

however big this DT is... and registering ammonia, id really want to know what is really going on.

btw i use windex on my glass all the time. you need a lot to register 1 ppm. even for a nano.

Russ do you spray the glass with Windex? Or do you put it on a cloth or paper towel and then wipe the glass? The former action has wiped out more tanks than you may realize.

Because it's easy to still have some on hands etc., after the fact, I recommend using either a bit of vinegar and water or an aquarium-safe outer glass cleaner. It's not just the ammonia that poses a risk but the other chemicals in the stuff that can harm inhabitants. It's a risk that can be completely avoided very easily, so why chance it?

Since cats generally don't like water (except the one I had who loved taking showers...), it's unlikely being directly done by a cat, but something is weird with that pitcher. The tank being new and cycling does not account for the water in the pitcher registering ammonia - that had to be coming from somewhere.

Jenn

JennM;1038608 wrote: Russ do you spray the glass with Windex? Or do you put it on a cloth or paper towel and then wipe the glass? The former action has wiped out more tanks than you may realize.

Because it's easy to still have some on hands etc., after the fact, I recommend using either a bit of vinegar and water or an aquarium-safe outer glass cleaner. It's not just the ammonia that poses a risk but the other chemicals in the stuff that can harm inhabitants. It's a risk that can be completely avoided very easily, so why chance it?

Since cats generally don't like water (except the one I had who loved taking showers...), it's unlikely being directly done by a cat, but something is weird with that pitcher. The tank being new and cycling does not account for the water in the pitcher registering ammonia - that had to be coming from somewhere.

Jenn

the pitcher is 1 gallon registering 2ppm. that would not give a 10 gallon display more than .2ppm and even less if he had a bacteria load.

while i agree it is good practice to remain cautious about windex. i actually jump started my 265 by putting a 1/8th cup of windex in there and have coralline algae before 30 days.

windex will not crash a healthy tank unless it spilled. ime.

it would be pointless for me to prove it being that i have 300 gallon volume and it wouldnt even register

From left to right:

Cup of water sitting by tank covered with plastic wrap.
Cup of water sitting by the tank exposed to air.
Cup of water, uncovered, in the laundry room with the litter.

B5B151C1-23CB-4F1C-ABB4-71E86508A255.jpg
alt="" />

From left to right:

Cup of water, uncovered, our formal den on the other side of the house.
Test from fresh salt water mixed covered and in the basement.

C89AA8E6-F326-4151-A3F2-C443829D8A1D.jpg
alt="" />

I was a little late on the second round of test. The pictures looks a little more green than actual. I would say the saltwater is somewhere between 0 and .25. Regardless, the best saltwater results I have seen in a while.

i hate to ask the obvious....

but you dont "smell" the ammonia?

get a new kit. i cannot believe it

edit:
the covered registered 0 so it has to be airborne ammonia

how long did you leave these out?

Can we conclude there is something in the air? Both containers that were covered registered little to no ammonia. The others are through the roof.

All water came from my RODI barrel via the same pitcher. Cups were all the same type of cup. The RODI water tests with no ammonia.

Wow. Did all of the cups get filled in the same manner? As in you used the same container to fill all of them?

While I am not a fan of API kits, I can't see one kit being that far off from multiple tests done consecutively.

api ammonia is fine. its nitrate, calcium and phosphate that i challenge consistently.

yeah. you have a ton of ammonia in the air. open the windows, change the hvac filters (although without carbon your hosed) and id relocate litter boxes.

that has to be airborne.

question though. it is summer. what temp do you keep the house at?

We could use better husbandry with our litter box, as in not cleaned daily. I wouldn't say it gets disgusting, but I usually clean the box when I start to smell it. I wouldn't say it ever gets to the point where it smells like cracking open a bottle of ammonia.

rdnelson99;1038626 wrote: While I am not a fan of API kits, I can't see one kit being that far off from multiple tests done consecutively.

I have cross checked the API kit with seachem and Red Sea. I used it here because I could knock out three at a time.

I also cleaned the test tubes with warm water and a paper towel prior to testing.

Russ-IV;1038627 wrote: api ammonia is fine. its nitrate, calcium and phosphate that i challenge consistently.

yeah. you have a ton of ammonia in the air. open the windows, change the hvac filters (although without carbon your hosed) and id relocate litter boxes.

that has to be airborne.

question though. it is summer. what temp do you keep the house at?

You may be on to something because this problem seemed to appear with the recent warm temps. 72 during morning and evening. 75 during the day.

open the windows at night. usually lows at 69-70 at this time. bleach the litter boxes and then dust it with baking soda.

that house needs to be aerated.

the reason i asked about house temp is because humidity will bind the ammonia ions to the water and it will condensate back in.

it could also come from carpet where the cats leave "presents". your air filters will also be shot.

after that do a test and see how it works

Back