Prophylactic treatment

@bzb , I too thank you for that report. I bought a CBB a few months ago and he didn't make it through quarantine. I don't believe it was the medication that did him in. He wouldn't eat. I offered everything but black worms. I even hatched baby brine shrimp but he would not eat. You were fortunate having yours eat right away. Did the fish store have a variety of sizes? I have heard they can't resist live black worms. I have located a source and will order some before I purchase another fish.

@bzb , I too thank you for that report. I bought a CBB a few months ago and he didn't make it through quarantine. I don't believe it was the medication that did him in. He wouldn't eat. I offered everything but black worms. I even hatched baby brine shrimp but he would not eat. You were fortunate having yours eat right away. Did the fish store have a variety of sizes? I have heard they can't resist live black worms. I have located a source and will order some before I purchase another fish.
Sorry for my ignorance, what is a CBB?

That sucks, I’m sorry. It has quickly become one of my favorite fish - I never had one with my old tanks.

My first CBB got caught in the *TINY* powerhead in my QT. Folks here and R2R figured he was weak already, but he certainly didn’t act like it in the QT. Got him from Nemo and he ate fine: dried blackworms were his favorite, slurped em up like spaghetti. Live clams were destroyed in just a couple hours (with the kole tang helping). CBB preferred the chunks of scallop and squid, but would peck at any of the rest of the frozen I prepped. Even picked at flake food. Just... sometimes I guess you get unlucky.

The one I have now I got from The Fish Store in Chamblee. They claimed they had him for about 2 weeks. We dumped in a bunch of different foods and he ate everything: mysis, brine, clam chunks, fish chunks. Bought him on the spot. He’s destroyed every aiptasia except for the two largest ones, constantly sticking his nose in the rockwork. He’s so bold he pulls food out of the kole tang’s mouth.

In QT, he never lost a step with eating. I thought copper or the Prazi might suppress his appetite a bit, but nope... dude could give Joey Chestnut a run for his money.

I was very hesitant to try again based off so many negative stories, but being patient and waiting until you find a pig at the LFS is probably key to success.

Thank you both!

Folks suggest them all the time for aiptasia control, but warn that not all of them have a taste for the pesky anemones. I got lucky with mine. Very pretty and quirky personality, too!

@bzb Is the Copper Power (Endich) Blue treatment what I should get to replace the Cupramine? I don’t want to buy the wrong thing again. Also, for any Seachem Cupramine fans I have a bottle I will give to you. Amazon refunded but no return required

@bzb Is the Copper Power (Endich) Blue treatment what I should get to replace the Cupramine? I don’t want to buy the wrong thing again. Also, for any Seachem Cupramine fans I have a bottle I will give to you. Amazon refunded but no return required

Yesim

Not saying Cupramine is a bad product. Lots of people use it with success.

Yesim

Not saying Cupramine is a bad product. Lots of people use it with success.
I’m sure it is a good product but seems to me that more people prefer the Copper Power because it isn’t as harsh on the fish so I’m going with that.

I’m sure it is a good product but seems to me that more people prefer the Copper Power because it isn’t as harsh on the fish so I’m going with that.

The folks at my LFS said, "Of course, you always dose 1/2 strength for salt water". I dunno that that's a good general rule, but it certainly seems to be the case with Cupramine. Of course, the full dosage didn't bother my clown fish or tang, but the goby couldn't handle it.

My 13-yr-old stepdaughter loved that fish (named it already!), and she's been having a really tough time lately, so I had to run out and get a body-double into the tank before she came home yesterday - lol!

I dumped the LFS water (about 1/2 liter) + goby into my bucket. Diluted 1ml Prazi with some salt water, and added it to the bucket. then drip acclimated for 35 minutes from the QT tank (which I had previously given a 100% water change). He was a little woozy last night, but he seems better today and ate some pellets. If he goes after the mysis tonight I'm going to call it a success and not dose anything else unless I see signs of Ich over the next few weeks.

@NanCrab - sorry I keep hijacking your threads!!! ;)

The folks at my LFS said, "Of course, you always dose 1/2 strength for salt water". I dunno that that's a good general rule, but it certainly seems to be the case with Cupramine. Of course, the full dosage didn't bother my clown fish or tang, but the goby couldn't handle it.

My 13-yr-old stepdaughter loved that fish (named it already!), and she's been having a really tough time lately, so I had to run out and get a body-double into the tank before she came home yesterday - lol!

I dumped the LFS water (about 1/2 liter) + goby into my bucket. Diluted 1ml Prazi with some salt water, and added it to the bucket. then drip acclimated for 35 minutes from the QT tank (which I had previously given a 100% water change). He was a little woozy last night, but he seems better today and ate some pellets. If he goes after the mysis tonight I'm going to call it a success and not dose anything else unless I see signs of Ich over the next few weeks.

@NanCrab - sorry I keep hijacking your threads!!! ;)
You arent hijacking my threads! I love the conversations because I learn so much. Lol body double goby...good dad for doing that

Back