Protien Skimmer Advise

g9550

Reaction score
I have a 54 Gallon Corner that is not drilled and am currently running a KNOP Hang on skimmer that as of late seems to be crapping out. Anybody know who makes a nice hang on skimmer these days? In a good, better, best world I would be looking for something in the better range of things. Thanks for the help.

I hear a lot about SuperSkimmers (SS). I think corallife makes them. Someone will correct me if Im worng. I have about the same thing you have, mines a 52. I trashed my HOB InstantOcean 150 and built a custom sump, with an external overflow, and G2 skimmer. It was kinda costly in the long run, but my tank looks soooo much better. It pulls so much more trash out of the water compared to the HOB. I had to scrape my glass and sand everyday so it wouldnt hurt my eyes. Now its as clean as a whistle except for the HA that grew a lond time age. But if cost is an option, look into the SS.

I've used the CSS and had overflow problems with it as a hang on. I don't have an ATO and i think that would help with that. I have a 300g prizm now and i am much happier with it. It's pulling 20 to 25 ounces of brown crud every 2 days. People swear by the remora but i haven't tried it. Otco makes an HOB and Lifereef makes one too but I've never heard any feed back from anyone who has one. Both reputable names though.

When i was running it i cleaned it (venturi) once a week. Whatever i used to spot feed no matter what brand seemed to drive it nuts. Before i replaced it i was only running it when i was home and could eye on it.

theplatypus;320021 wrote: Have you cleaned the pump recently?

Going to pull the canopy off tonight and clean the pump and the inlet/return plumbing while I have it off. I have already had to repair a leak in it. I think it is somewhere between 6 and 10 years old as well.

on one 55 i have a cpr bacpak that has been running for 4 yrs does a great job, also on my other tank a remora it does a great job too.

Just started using a Aqua C remora pro w/ rio 1400 on my 75. Like I said it's new but seems to be pulling a lot of brown out of the tank.

Back