Pruning Palys

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve got some Palys, that I will soon need to prune. Im wondering if there to do it. F01BAB00-3F80-4DF8-B447-F330E9F1E122.jpeg

I prefer in tank for those due to the palytoxins. I just run extra carbon and rip them off with tweezers or pliers, then scrub the area with a toothbrush.

You can do it outside the tank in a bucket but i would wear gloves and eye protection for that.

It will have to happen in Tank. They are on a piece of rock that is on the bottom of the stack. Curious why scrub with TB

Any little bits left will usually grow back. Think of it as getting the roots as well.

You can also make a little wall of epoxy around them. That way when they grow out again you can pop the epoxy off and have a frag to sell.

Any little bits left will usually grow back. Think of it as getting the roots as well.

You can also make a little wall of epoxy around them. That way when they grow out again you can pop the epoxy off and have a frag to sell.
Is that the way to go on favia as well? I'm struggling to keep two in check and would love to frag some but I've resorted to basically chipping it back to death.

I turn off all the flow in the tank for 20 mins or so, then hit them with a syringe with kalk paste in it. A tiny dab is enough, you only need enough for them to close their mouth/ head with. I then typically wait, maybe another 20 mins before turning the flow back on.

A while back I turned the pumps on without waiting, and my six line ate a piece of kalk paste that had gotten blown around. I've never seen a fish do so many color changes, it turned out ok though.
Chris c

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Is that the way to go on favia as well? I'm struggling to keep two in check and would love to frag some but I've resorted to basically chipping it back to death.

To kill favia you can just cover it with epoxy or well anything. And yes you can use the "epoxy wall" method to frag it as well. I use it for pretty much any coral that encrusts the rocks.

To kill favia you can just cover it with epoxy or well anything. And yes you can use the "epoxy wall" method to frag it as well. I use it for pretty much any coral that encrusts the rocks.
I thanks for that. Now if only I could remember the cool names of my favias for when I go to sell them...

The only problem with epoxy is it makes the skimmer go crazy, for a day or two or even longer depending on how much is used.
Ohhhh that's what did it. I decided to enter the world of skimmers a couple weeks ago after decade of fuge only and I finally thought I had it sorted then it went to heck and I unplugged it.

Back