Pump Recomendations

calireefer

Market
Reaction score
What kind of water pumps are you using? I need to replace a Poseidon PS4 "SILENT" Titanium water pump that I'm using as my main return from my sump and to feed water through my chiller. The pump is quiet but has a horrible heat transfer problem. I was thinking of getting the Iwaki MD-40RLXT, Does anyone have one of these or can you recommend something better in the 1200 gph 4ft of head range. Thanks in advance.
Merlin-

those "silent" pumps calcify really really fast too

for small pumps it's hard to beat iwaki or the blueline/panworld whatever the current flavor is, I think they call them panworld now

darts are HUGE, 3600 gph, most standard overflows can not push that much gps

megadeth;80079 wrote: those "silent" pumps calcify really really fast too

for small pumps it's hard to beat iwaki or the blueline/panworld whatever the current flavor is, I think they call them panworld now

I have a blueline/panworld 1090 gph basically the 30xt version of the pump used 3 months for 125.00. I bought it new from Cap bay in June and paid 210.00.

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18054&cat=485&page=1">http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18054&cat=485&page=1</a>

Mine is orange.

Rob

Thanks for the recommendations. Rob that pump sounds like just what I need I'm short on funds at the moment but I'll check to see if you still have it when I'm able to afford it. Thanks
Merlin

Thanks for the recommendations. Rob that pump sounds like just what I need I'm short on funds at the moment but I'll check to see if you still have it when I'm able to afford it. Thanks
Merlin

I have an Iwaki 40RLT on my 65 and love it. I bought the pump used on ebay 6 years ago and it has been running strong ever since. The Pan World stuff works well also. I would go with Rhomer's pump since you are on a tight budget.

Is your current pump throttled back? That can cause extra heat.

JM

No its not throttled back it just returns water to my tank and feeds my chiller.
Are the Iwaki's air cooled, do they use a fan? I'm not sure why my pump runs so hot but everyone that I've talked to thats used one of these has had the same problem. Also I noticed the calcification problem when I took it apart to clean the impeller after 8 months of use.

I had the same pump the CSL t4 which is the same pump just a different label and it consumes a lot more power then the panworld pumps. I'm not sure why but this is one of the main causes of heat transfer, and the heat is the main cause of the calcification. Eventually the pump could not be cleaned well enough to continue to function for very long and I moved to the panworld. Much cooler, but there is definitely more noise.

Rob

Jin, what do you think about what they are saying about your poseidon pumps??

I currently use an Iwaki 30rlt, it is pretty quiet but the pump gets extremely hot.

chrisjet;80804 wrote: I currently use an Iwaki 30rlt, it is pretty quiet but the pump gets extremely hot.

The only way to tell the T4 was running was I had to put my hand on the pump. It was dead silent and absolutely no vibration. What a PITA to clean and I had to do it about every 3 months. Talk about heat as well, you couldn't touch it directly. I would guess the outside would reach 150 degrees.

Rob

Iwaki's are technically water cooled but they do have a fan powered by the main shaft that pushes air over the housing.

I have a pair of Gen-x pcx-55's under my setup. They're "okay"
A little noisy IMO but I always get compliments from other reefers on how quiet they are. They definitely run hot but a very solid pump. Minimal maintenance.

I have a Pan World 50 running on my 30 cube, it puts out about 590gph @4', and love it. It is a lot quieter than my old Iwaki, also I do not have a chiller on my system only a fan above the sump. My system rarely goes over 79 degrees. Its been in operation since May or June of 2006 with no problems. Just my opinion.

Back