Pump Size recommedations?

rhodan

Market
Reaction score
I finally got the green light from the wife to move forward with setting up my 180 gal. :) I was planning on having the sump and other workings in the basement but the head from basement back to the tank is going to be close to 16 feet. Any recommendations on what pump to buy?

Check with Chris (Mojo) He had a pump that could handle that head for sale a while back...

Yup - I have 16' of head as well (basement setup for my 240). I do have a Sequence 5800 http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=995">for sale</a>.

Pretty much any Sequence pump will work- it depends on how much flow you want to have out of your main pump vs. how much you want to add with powerheads, etc.

I also have a sump [IMG]http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1077">for sale</a> that fits well with this pump- I used it for a while with my basement setup.

I'd highly suggest viewing other peoples' basement setups before getting too far. You've got a lot of options...

Simon's little avatar is too small to tell but his basement sump dwarfs his display tank! It looks like two 4'x8' sheets of acrylic standing on edge about 2' apart, i.e. hundreds of gallons. If he recommends a pump, I would follow his advice. If Chris has a pump for less, that would be smart money too. This size motor is not cheap but MyReef [sponsor] carries a quality line for large tanks. Just be careful because most pumps advertize flow based on no head/ height and your basement setup is at the limits of most common hobby stuff.

wildemon wrote: Just be careful because most pumps advertize flow based on no head/ height and your basement setup is at the limits of most common hobby stuff.
Wildemon is right - the Sequence pumps are pretty much the only pumps anyone uses for larger hobby setups. The Dolphin Ampmasters used to be popular, but you'll find plenty of problems with them leaking or not standing up to the saltwater over time.

Mojo....Let me check with the wife and I may get that pump at the end of the month. I have been looking at Sequence pumps from the start; it seems that everyone is using them for basement setups, but I wanted to be sure. I was looking at the Marlin or the Sequence Manta Ray for my basement setup, but the 5800 will work just as well. It seems to have lots of great reviews. :) Why are you selling your equipment off, at least the sump and the pump? I already have a 100 Gal Rubbermaid sump ordered, but I like your setup and the acrylic top and I may think about purchasing just the top at a later date.

I can only hope my basement setup can be as organized and layout as well as Simon's 1st class sump.

Thanks everyone for the advice...

Rhodan wrote: Why are you selling your equipment off, at least the sump and the pump? I already have a 100 Gal Rubbermaid sump ordered, but I like your setup and the acrylic top and I may think about purchasing just the top at a later date.

The sump is good in certain aspects - cheap for the size, little chance of leaking, etc, but the tradeoff came when I wanted to put things in it (skimmer, etc)- the layout just wasn't condusive to that type of sump.

As for selling the pump- I've changed directions on how I wanted to create flow in my tank. I've since moved to a smaller main pump and several Tunze's (at an admittedly higher price).

Funny thing, the people who build Sequence pumps build Ampmasters also. I spoke directly with Sequence ( their company is a different name though) and was trying to get some info on my Marlin when they told me about their Ampmaster line. Go figure!!

Back