puzzle I cannot solve

That's a stumper for sure.

On the "copper" thing. 1) It's a myth that having used copper in a tank that has been stripped and emptied will kill blah blah blah. 2) If it wasn't a myth, the corals and inverts would be the ones dying, not the fish. Copper in therapeutic doses, kills parasites (invertebrates) and it will kill all the clean up critters and such.

That sort of kind of rules out most toxins too - usually corals/inverts are the canaries in the proverbial coal mine. However... are there any air fresheners in the vicinity of the tank? Esp. the scented oil kind? They can wipe fish out fast.

How near is your other tank or tanks, to the tank-o-death?

Other than the tailspot blenny, what other fishes have you tried?

How long have those fishes been in the store before you buy them? Do you see them eat before you bring them home? Do you quarantine first?

Given that the tank is the common denominator it's quite possible that there's something amiss with the tank itself, but before you rip everything apart... let's see if we can determine what it is.

Do you run carbon? If the tank is packed with corals, I'm wondering if coral toxins may have something to do with it? It's kind of a long shot... but it's worth asking. Carbon helps remove some of those toxins.

Also 100 snails seems super excessive for a 29. So does 35-40 lbs of rock. I wonder what your actual water volume is with all that displacement? Between all the displacement and more concentrated coral toxins, I wonder if that and/or perhaps low dissolved oxygen might be the issue?

Jenn

I'm not an expert by no means; not even close. I believe Jenn is onto something. Your water volume appears to be minimized by the rocks and other things in the tank. Is the death of the fish caused by lack of oxygen in the tank? All the other stuff taken away from what the fish need. Is your lighting cycle contributing to algae that is adding to the oxygen level being low enough to affect the fish?

Just some brainstorming. I consider myself a Wannabee, so this is just my opinion and thought pattern. As I mentioned above, I do believe that Jenn's is on the right track.

Wannabee

As Jenn has mentioned about the snails; all the poo from the snails adds up; especially in a smaller tank.

thank you yes jenn is the expert so I an sure she will get to the bottom of it. The tank is in my bedroom where as all other tanks are in Living room. No air fresheners as they drive me nuts. I was running carbon up until yesterday. It was the only thing in the tank that I am not running in the other tank. My rock is more dense then large and the snails are the dwarf nas... Can't spell haha so they dont seem to be my suspicion. I do make sure the fish are eating and looking good before I buy them. I know its not the same but this tank was my "display QT" I know I know that is not how it works. The other fishwere a false perc and a damsel. I thought it was oxygen as well but with a skimmer running 24/7 and a powerhead aimed at the surface how can that be? I am thinking there has to be a perisite and I just need to leave it empty for two months. But wow its killing gas if that's the case. On a positive note the tailspot is dking great in my other tank. Even with another tailspot in there. I think they have paired.

Not sure how close you are to a place that could check Dissolved Oxygen level in your aqaurium water. There are several different manufacturers and the prices are expensive; maybe you can find a local company or reef store that could check the oxygen level of your sample water. Maybe you could borrow this type of meter from a friend or post here at ARC borrow or have a member drop by to check the oxygen level. If you have to travel a long distance to get the water tested; I'm not sure how that would affect the accuracy of the results.

You mentioned that you just took out the carbon that was in the tank. How long did you have the carbon in the tank? What brand of carbon was you using? How much carbon was you running, i.e. 4 oz, 8 oz or 1 cup, etc.

Wannabee

I'm not an expert and I don't play one on TV. I just have a lot of experience, is all.

You said that tank is in your bedroom - do you keep the door closed most of the time? (Still toying with the low O2 theory...)

Damsels and clowns are usually among the most durable of fishes so that is odd.

You suspect a parasite but you said earlier that all the dead had no symptoms. Usually you can't have one without the other and the only protozoan I know of that kills that fast is Brooklynella - which *would* infest a clown and a damsel fast and it has the potential to kill within hours.

However you'd see symptoms of that, so I'm leaning toward that just being a coincidence.

Jenn

With it being in a separate room from all the others, it almost has to be something in that room. Does your wife get herself together in that room? As in hairspray or perfume?

JennM;994231 wrote: I'm not an expert and I don't play one on TV. I just have a lot of experience, is all. .......

Jenn

Being of age; almost old age, I've watched many shows on TV that involved doctors. I say your experience and helping others bring their tank mates out of harm's way, qualifies for me to call you Doctor, Doctor JennM. I've witnessed too many cases where your guidance has helped many a reefer save their loved one. No all cases turn out well, but when the symptoms are presented early enough, you diagnose the problem and get the patients on the correct meds to help them live a longer productive life.

That's why we I see a fellow reefer needing help, I hear a song start to play. "Who you gonna call?" The answer in this situation is not "Ghostbusters". It's "JennM, the fish doctor." That's whom I'm gonna call.

Wannabee

Actually the terms make me uncomfortable. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I didn't go to school for this stuff, I learned almost all of it the hard way. Terms like "doctor" and "expert" should be reserved for people who do go to school for their field of expertise. While it's flattering, to this lay-person, it does kind of detract from the real professionals out there - of which I am not.

I just don't want to mislead anyone. I'm just a hobbyist with a lot of experience in both the hobby and the industry. Nothing more, nothing less...

I laughed at Rich's comment ;) " Does your wife get herself together in that room? As in hairspray or perfume?"

What year are you living in, Rich? 1950? :lol: Just the way you said that sounds so... I dunno.. "June Cleaver"...

He's got a point though... aerosols and stuff can be problematic, which is sort of where I was going with the air freshener biz, I've seen that happen. I didn't think about the whole perfume/hairspray thing because I've had my guy card for too long I guess.

Then again... I could go one further - Brandon - do you get yourself together in that room? As in Axe or Old Spice?!

Or are you an Aqua Velva man? :eek:

Jenn

I apologize for the reference to doctor. I won't reference that word again. I do appreciate your contributions to ARC; especially when someone is in need of help.

Wannabee

No worries - just wanted to explain myself. I do appreciate the confidence many have in me and I'm always happy to be a help. I just don't want people reading anything into my credentials (or lack thereof..) that isn't there. :)

Jenn, I guess it comes from being married to a southern bell GA graduate blonde sorority girl for near on 20 years. LOL. At 18 if you had told me I would be here I would have laughed at you then straightened my jean jacket and flowing locks. LOL

I have the same problem I have a 110 gallon that the fish die after one week except an Zebra eel and a pajama cardinal. I also have 3 other tanks with coral and fish that I use the same water from a R/O for and nothing dies in the other tanks. Tank has Wet/Dry with skimmer power heads and a UV on it. I thinking about adding more live rock and live sand or Breaking down and soaking.

I don't know why people kill good live rock but that's likely NOT the problem.

JennM;994284 wrote: Terms like "doctor" and "expert" should be reserved for people who do go to school for their field of expertise.

Like Dr. Phil

haha Dr. Phil...I get it, Well I have decided to just let it run empty for a while and continue to monitor. I dont want to lose another fish so I will wait a month or so. But this is so strange.
Jen you might not be a "profesional" but I know alot of people you have helped as well as myself. and I am sure there is alot of "experts" that could learn a thing or two from you.

Thanks!

LOL Dr. Phil... nice ;)

I barely scratch the surface of all there is to know in this wacky hobby - but then again, that applies to *most* (even the so-called experts!)

Happy to help when I can.

LOL just remembering another nickname somebody gave me once, meaning to be complimentary but it sounded all wrong... "Queen of Disease" :bigeek:

Given the choice I'd rather be called an expert :p

Back