pvc glue how long

downtime89

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys i have always done everything rubber hose, i just re worked my overflow lines to use a bigger overflow box, the glue i got from lowes says 15 min for good handiling strength and 2 hours for cure time. So i am guessing i need to wait 2 hours before i can start my sump back up?

I have glued stuff around the farm before without any type of primer, my grandfather was a plumber and my dad was as well, we have never used the primer stuff around here we just use a orange bottle of pvc glue never have had a leak come from a repair... so no i didnt use primer.

My only problem is i dont know how long i need to wait before, any harmfull chemicals in the glue is safe to run into my tank. I plan on running 10 gallons of tap water through the pipes before running it into my tank.

downtime89;604005 wrote: around here we just use a orange bottle of pvc glue

FWIW, the orange bottle (assuming this is Oatey glue, like almost all of the stores carry) is glue for CPVC, not PVC. It will glue PVC (as you know), but I'd be careful on pressurized applications as I don't know how the strength compares.

For an answer to your main question, I've heard that all of the volatile chemicals need about 24 hours to dissipate... but then again I know plenty of people who put the pipes in service as soon as they are bonded. If you can, I'd wait a day just to be safe.

well the can says all purpose cement for abs, cpvc, pvc oatley. Cure time 2 hours sets 15 min, im getting alot of people telling me they have alyways just turned thiers on as soon as the glue set...

downtime89;604009 wrote: well the can says all purpose cement for abs, cpvc, pvc oatley. Cure time 2 hours sets 15 min, im getting alot of people telling me they have alyways just turned thiers on as soon as the glue set...

Ah, I see. The only orange cans I used were "CPVC cement". The all purpose one was a different color. I guess they changed it... carry on!

lol well some one here at the house just called me color blind....:( wat i call orange they are calling red lol....i litteraly see it as a orange can... lol

The primmer is to insure it bonds well. With out primmer you are taking a chance down the road it will leak. I only use Hot glue. or when we do irrigation I use Blue glue.

downtime89;604000 wrote: Hey guys i have always done everything rubber hose, i just re worked my overflow lines to use a bigger overflow box, the glue i got from lowes says 15 min for good handiling strength and 2 hours for cure time. So i am guessing i need to wait 2 hours before i can start my sump back up?

15 minutes will be fine as a drain is a low pressure application. Handling strength is all I ever wait for, and I've never had a problem.

PITTSVIEW??? REALLY???

I used to hunt there (greenfield plantation)... ****, I miss that place...

the correct answer is that it depends on what glue you're using...
but any/all of them should be ready for pressure within about 30 minutes...

Never used primer here, and only wait 20-30 min, then flush a bunch of water through it. Never had a leak yet...

no primer, heavy duty(thicker) glue. Slap it on thick, put parts together, whipe off extra and go. Ive turned pumps on litterally minutes after gluing with no problem.

It will bond within 30 seconds, it will not be removable in about 5 min. leaks only occure when you dont glue it right and if it comes apart, well you probably need to be wearing a helmet around the house.

I use primer when I've got time and/or the pipes are dirty. But I don't bother if I'm working with new pipes / fittings. And I never, ever use purple primer - always clear. I want a clean installation, not purple dye all over the place.

As for how long to wait - I usually give it 5-10 mins with hard PVC. Flex PVC seems to take longer to setup, so I go at least 30 mins.

I wait 10 min. and fire it up no freash rinse or nothing once the glue sets it's set and it cures from outside in so a freash flush would do nothing for ya imo as far as exporting chems, it would be good to make sure you dont have little shavings of pvc floating around but that is about it. this is my practice and my 1/2 a cents worth. good reefing to ya

Rbredding;604179 wrote: PITTSVIEW??? REALLY???

I used to hunt there (greenfield plantation)... ****, I miss that place...

the correct answer is that it depends on what glue you're using...
but any/all of them should be ready for pressure within about 30 minutes...

lol lived here all my life, i have heard that name before by the way.....i live near the mead paper mill.

Best bet process from my perspective is;

1) Make your pipe cuts
2) Wipe down the ends of the pipe(s) to clear off any bits, shavings or dirt
3) Use a quick shot of primer
4) Glue them together
5) Wait about 2 mins
6) Let'er rip. The standard PVC cement cures to low pressure water tight VERY quickly

I would also agree that the freshwater rinse is probably not doing much unless you are worried that there are chemicals or something in the pipe itself (which would lead me to not use it in the first place).

Just my thoughts/experience...

Glue them, wait a few minutes, then use. that's what I have always done.

One thing I do if I can is inspect the inside of the bond for flares of glue sticking into the ID of the tube, which happens sometimes. I smear them on the side walls if I can reach it, as these can impede flow, especially on smaller ID tubing.

Back