QT and Brand new tanks

Ich is the least of my worries. Its manageable and is probably in most systems. Brook & Velvet are my main concerns. Not that I won't treat for Ich but I don't think I'll ever be completely Ich free with tangs in my tanks.

It's a bit sad that very few of us listen to each other until we experience it.

My excuse is 15 years ago when I left this hobby, I never ran QT yet rarely lost fish. Certainly never had a tank crash. Old habits despite the warnings.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot more disease in the supply chain now.
I'm just so darned thankful that I researched (old RN habits die hard!) and found this forum BEFORE I (we, because my hubby is 100% in too) made any devastatingly expensive mistakes. I've found folks on here to be extremely generous with their help. @anit77 and @aestheticlibra even came to the house to help us!! I know there will be trials and tribulations but why ask for help if you arent going to respect the advice of people who have already made the mistakes? I lament about that all the time with my daughters (36 & 29). They ask my opinion, I give it to them, and they do what they want anyway then come crying to me when it turns out exactly how I knew (from my own stupid mistakes) that it would! We are really committed to doing this the safest way possible. If that means everything, including starter fish, stay out of the dr for a month, or more, than that's what will happen. I surely appreciate all of the thoughtful replies I get from everyone for my queries.

You're already doing better than me! :clapa: Maybe I needed to be out of the hobby 30 years.

I was far more concerned with all the new gadgets that developed over the years, rather than all the new information from husbandry best practices.

I figured just do what I always did before, but nearly everything has changed (and continues to even just in the few months I've been back in!)

If the LFS we buy from has already treated the fish, we just keep them in QT for observation. If no treatment, then we treat in QT.

So can I ask a probably stupid question? I thought abut it while reading an article written by a scientist and reefkeeper about coralline algae. She was saying snails and such are a great way to introduce flora into your tank, but what about disease? Does anyone quarantine their clean up crew before putting them in the tank?

I would look on R2R or similar site to get in-depth information on inverts. Inverts cannot host the parasite, but there is speculation/proof that ich cysts can stick to hard surfaces such as shells, rock, frag plugs, etc. Everyone has to find their own happy medium, of course. But some people on R2R have a full time second "observation tank" and "anything wet" goes into it for 76 days (outside period for a cyst to hatch). That seems extreme to me. I certainly dip corals, and take a toothbrush to plugs. And I put all fish through copper, no matter what. Because of the V-Word.

I would look on R2R or similar site to get in-depth information on inverts. Inverts cannot host the parasite, but there is speculation/proof that ich cysts can stick to hard surfaces such as shells, rock, frag plugs, etc. Everyone has to find their own happy medium, of course. But some people on R2R have a full time second "observation tank" and "anything wet" goes into it for 76 days (outside period for a cyst to hatch). That seems extreme to me. I certainly dip corals, and take a toothbrush to plugs. And I put all fish through copper, no matter what. Because of the V-Word.
Thank you. I tried to sign up for an r2r account but couldn’t ever verify it because their stupid link kept taking me to tapatalk which they don’t use anymore

Not a dumb question at all. I had the same question!

While it's certainly possible, it's less likely. This will be part of your personal risk tolerance. The only invert I've added since the outbreak is a conch. I felt like I was pretty mean to the lil dude. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and rinsed quite a few times with tank water.

thats how i got velvet into my tank back in november ordered some cleaner shrimp and snails one of the shrimp molted the day after i put them in my DT then a day later my fish started showing symptoms of velvet by day two 4 of my 6 fish were dead the remaining 2 died in QT

Make sure to ask the LFS if they have treated the livestock and with what, how long the livestock has been at the store, any issues etc. ARC has some great sponsor LFS to chose from to hopefully avoid issues.

Back