QT tank is testing .2 ppm for Ammonia

oldedb

Market
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on what to do... This is the 1st time I have ever QT'd (trying to do the right thing). I have a 20G long w/ a HOB Filter, heater, and airstone. I used water from my DT and used a few pieces of live rock from the DT. The QT ran for a couple of days before I added fish. I am not running any medications... Was planning on just observing for a couple of weeks before I added to DT.

I have a small powder blue and a small regal tang in QT now. They are active and are eating mysis well.

Last night I tested for Ammonia and I got a reading of .2 ppm. I did a 5G (25%) water change using water from my DT (which tested at 0 for Ammonia) and added Prime. This morning when I tested again, Ammonia appeared to have fallen slightly but I would still put it in the neighborhood of .2ppm. Nitrate and Nitrites tested @ 0

Looking for suggestions on what to do...

On one end of the spectrum is adding them to the DT and on the other end of the spectrum is another aggressive water change (50%???). If water change... should I use DT water or should I use freshly mixed salt water?

It likely is cycling, keep going with Prime and I'd also do Stability dosing for a 'new' tank.

Jenn

Back