Qt Tank Question

Froster92

Supporting
Reaction score
Im in the process of cycling my 180 gal, im doing research on setting up a QT tank. One question I had, I know you are supposed to take a sponge or some type of media from your main tank to seed biological filtration into the QT. Am I able to do this while my main tank is cycling or do I have to wait for my cycle to finish? The reason im asking, Im wondering if I can start QTing a fish while the main tank cycles?

I’m no expert, but the sponge/media’s purpose seems to be to bring established beneficial bacteria into the QT. If your display hasn’t fully cycled, the media that you take out might not be full of life enough to seed your QT. Again, I’m no expert though 😅

So if I use that I don’t need to seed from my main display?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seeding from a display is for people with existing systems, not for those starting completely from scratch.

This is what I used to start my display and Frag system.

But most all the QT's I used Biospira or this.

There are many product out there to jump start a system. The days of 4-8 week cycling are pretty much over. Fritz has a good one too.

Seeding from a display is for people with existing systems, not for those starting completely from scratch.

This is what I used to start my display and Frag system.

But most all the QT's I used Biospira or this.

There are many product out there to jump start a system. The days of 4-8 week cycling are pretty much over. Fritz has a good one too.
Awesome, so i could pick this up, get the QT set up and get a fish and monitor while the display cycles?

Awesome, so i could pick this up, get the QT set up and get a fish and monitor while the display cycles?
Absolutely. But the same products will cycle the display too. I'm not saying don't QT, you still want to do that.

But you can have the display ready to go in a week with Microbacter Start XLM and a bottle of QuikCycl.

Absolutely. But the same products will cycle the display too. I'm not saying don't QT, you still want to do that.

But you can have the display ready to go in a week with Microbacter Start XLM and a bottle of QuikCycl.
Awesome, I think ill use that for my QT. My display is about halfway through the cycle now so im just going to wait it out.

Adding more bacteria when you add fish to the display will not hurt either.
Awesome I appreciate the answers, I had 90 gal some years back but being brand new I never Qt'd fish. Im trying to do things the right way this time around. I just figured if I could get a fish in QT now itd be less time looking at an empty display tank. I have a 5 year old and every day I get the "when are we going to put fishies in there?" question. I personally dont mind waiting but its hard to explain the nitrogen cycle to a 5 year old.

Back