Quarantine

I always assume that any fish, coral or other living thing I want to add to my DT is contaminated with tank-wiping issues. And I QT and treat accordingly, regardless of the source. Honestly, I don't see how any anyone can reasonably assume otherwise. Maybe it's because I am older. I have learned what I can control and what I cannot! Nothing is getting anywhere near my DT until I have verified (to my personal satisfaction) that it is clean of parasites and issues.

and zoa plugs are generally the dirtiest
Truth... I've got a list of things I want to add. On that list is "5 zoa types" my plan is to source 5 frags at the same time from the same place clean dip and qt the hell out of them and never add zoas again.

Truth... I've got a list of things I want to add. On that list is "5 zoa types" my plan is to source 5 frags at the same time from the same place clean dip and qt the hell out of them and never add zoas again.
Lol, nice - I like the plan.
But zoas melt and some are more photogenic than others.
And there are a billion varieties so kudos on narrowing it down to 5.

Single polyps are usually clean...its when you grab a 10+ colony thats been growing in someone's sandbed or frag rack forever that has the fuglies.

Lol, nice - I like the plan.
But zoas melt and some are more photogenic than others.
And there are a billion varieties so kudos on narrowing it down to 5.

Single polyps are usually clean...its when you grab a 10+ colony thats been growing in someone's sandbed or frag rack forever that has the fuglies.

Haven't got it narrowed just going to suck it pull the trigger and commit. I swear I only remember eagle eyes, water melons, and half a dozen others actually having names. It is wild now.

“Life always finds a way.”
Now, there’s some truth!

If anyone really expects to have a collection of mono-culture corals, be prepared to set up a multistage QT system. With rigorous dipping/medication & physical screening between stages. You will have to construct an effective gauntlet!

This post is rough, it makes it as if the seller was malicious in their intent. Just word of advice, assume all corals have pest and all fish have some sort of disease no matter the source and treat it that way. It'll save you a headache down the road.

Secondly, your definition of pest might not be in line with another person's definition of a pest. I get corals from friends that have all those that you have listed and they don't consider them as pest either, nor do I think they are trying to infect my system with it. Personally, the only thing I think that are pest are the vermitid snails, not that they are harmful to your corals or fish, but they are just ugly over time.
Agreed i do not consider these a pest as well. Bristle worms are in my opinion great cuc that are free and you never even see them. asterina starfish bother nothing. I dont sell anything harmful with out full disclosre also assuming i knew it was there. I consider red bugs, aptasia, and certain nudibranchs pests.

Back