question about Fluval 405

chadvwhite

Reaction score
<span style="font-family: arial;"><span style="font-size: 12px;">I have very limited space under my 65 corner currently i have a 2 older ehiem 225s. Is the Fluval 405 a better filter? Could i replace both of my 225s with one 405
</span></span>

Unless they have a FW tank, you probably won't get an answer from anyone on this one. Most people just don't use a canister filter for a marine tank - the detritus buildup, maintenance, and general industry trends just dictates using a skimmer and liverock, with carbon or purigen as a polisher.

I understand that most people just don't use a canister filter for a marine tank I am using a skimmer and liverock, with purigen and my tank stays very clean i could build a DIY 10g or 15g sump and do a over the back drain for it. the corner tank is one of the worst tanks for a reef the stand is very very small extremly limited space .. i can not complain because it was free. i think i might have a lead on a 29g.l. and i am realy considering converting everything over to it and taking the corner down or setting it up for my daughters chiclids and use a penguin 400 hang on the back just frustrated i supose i see everyones tank and think damn my tank could look that good if i had a regular shaped tank

Corner tanks can look nice, but it really takes a special eye for aquascaping. Simon Kruger's 90 corner tank is spectacular...

mojo wrote: Corner tanks can look nice, but it really takes a special eye for aquascaping. Simon Kruger's 90 corner tank is spectacular...

that 90 has a much larger base hence better filtration

Between the LR and skimmer, thats giving you all the filtration you need. I used to use a fluval on one of my FW setups, and eventually hated it. It's a pain to clean and you have to prime the line everytime you take it apart (which is NOT easy to do).

You may want to consider another option for running your carbon/purigen. (IMO, I would consider a HOB powerfilter over a fluval)

It's the classic filter you see hanging on the back of most freshwater fish tanks. It sucks up water from a tube, then sends it through a filter pad full of carbon or two, and then cascades back out into the tank.

<span style="font-size: 12px;">ok like a</span><span style="font-size: 12px;"> penguin BIO-WHEEL 350

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/2c/74/fe_1_b.JPG" alt="" />
</span>

Back