question about malfunctioning light

mikeup6

Market
Reaction score
The light in question is a sun systems T5 tek-light. It's used so I don't know how old it is, and I just plugged it in yesterday for the first time. The 2 actnics will come on for a few seconds and then turn off. I tried replacing the bulbs, same result. Eventually, hours later, I was able to get them to stay on. Today, the other 2 bulbs are doing it (so now all 4 bulbs). Again, I finally got them to stay on.

Any idea what the problem is? Several people have suggested the ballast. Thanks.

Sounds like there might be a loose wire inside the light. If you can pull off the cover and check the wires. I would plug it in after I get it opened and jiggle the wires around a little to see if it flickers on and off. Thats just me tho and I love danger so be careful of electrical shock. Might be the ballest not to fimiliar with ballast cann sunlight supply and talk to a rep there in tech support.

I doubt its a loose connection,even thought that is a possibility. The ballast may be having some problems overheating and cutting itself off??? You could also check all the connections at the tombstones and make sure they are wired properly according to the wiring diagram on the ballast. Make sure the wires are inserted into the tombstones completely. If that doesn't fix it and you have the proper voltage at the outlet then the ballast is your problem.

46bfinga;179808 wrote: The ballast may be having some problems overheating and cutting itself off???

It doesn't cut off once it's on. The problem is getting it to come on in the first place. Over the course of an hour, if I turn it on and off, it eventually comes on. It would never work on a timer.

46bfinga;179808 wrote: You could also check all the connections at the tombstones and make sure they are wired properly according to the wiring diagram on the ballast. Make sure the wires are inserted into the tombstones completely.

I'll check the wiring and tombstones. But if this were the problem would it come on at all?

Back