Question about protein skimmers

rjanes1951

Reaction score
Santa was good to me and gave me the money for a protein skimmer for Christmas. Can someone tell me the difference between these skimmers.
Reef Octopus Elite 150
Prime 150 Int
Classic 150 Int
Classic 150 sss
I have a 120 gal tank. I need one that is user friendly. I am not an experienced reef keeper. I have only had a tank for 6 months or so.
And bigger is not always better right?

In short sss means super space saver so if your limited on space in the sump its a good choice, it also cost a little more than the others.
Int stands for internal / classic is just the original style that reef octopus make.
if your planning on going new, you'll have lot more options, used not as much but there is some options on the site.

I have the classic 150 Int on my 75 gallon tank and really like it but it does make some noise. I have the Classic 110 SSS in on my 55 gallon tank and it is much quieter but I prefer the gate valve for tuning on the 150. The 110 has a tube that you turn to adjust it with. Not sure if the 150 SSS is the same as the 110 but since they are both space savers, I suspect they are. Gate valves are much easier to tune your skimmer.

I have the 3000 sss in and absolutely love it. I was confined to a smaller sump at the time and it was largest I could fit in the sump. You Can Add Up To 4 neck extensions for a longer dwell time. ,

huskerreefatl;1064855 wrote: I have the classic 150 Int on my 75 gallon tank and really like it but it does make some noise. I have the Classic 110 SSS in on my 55 gallon tank and it is much quieter but I prefer the gate valve for tuning on the 150. The 110 has a tube that you turn to adjust it with. Not sure if the 150 SSS is the same as the 110 but since they are both space savers, I suspect they are. Gate valves are much easier to tune your skimmer.

+1
I would not pick the sss skimmers unless tight space. Makes tuning the skimmer a lot easier.
The elite series uses a dc pump, but I don't think it uses a gate valve either. The prime skimmer looks to be the same as the elite but no dc pump?
Personally I would use the classic 150

How big is the space u got under the sump/stand for the skimmer? How wide / length / tall the space also determine choices for the skimmer. At least they do with mine. Do some measurement and we can come up with some better choice. Also, how do u want to put them ( everything on the sump ) in order..

I called Bulk Reef Supply and they recommended The Reef Octopus 202-S 8". It has a footprint of 12.4 by 10 ". I measured the space in my sump and it measures 13.5 by 11". So I think the 202 would be to big.
The other one I was looking at is the 152-S 6". Its footprint is 10.4 by 8.1"

Do you think the 152 would be big enough for a 120 with a medium bio load.

It's rated for up to 150 but that's with light load...

Here is a heck of an option, and you can grow a still use it...

a>

nickg;1065247 wrote: Here is a heck of an option, and you can grow a still use it...

http://www.coralvue.com/classic-225int-protein-skimmer">http://www.coralvue.com/classic-225int-protein-skimmer</a>[/QUOTE]

This is a great skimmer by dang, $400+!

Sweetie you got time, let's find you so good one on the site at 50% off!

Grant had something BA, let's look at WTS here.

cheap ebay skimmer... skimmers make bubbles... PERIOD. i paid 35 bucks for my skimmer which is now 27 bucks on ebay. it skims great dark thick solid matter. ALL A SKIMMER DOES IS MAKE BUBBLES!! its rated for 150g but i have it on my 36g bow system(in sump). Save the money on a costly skimmer and get a cheap skimmer. with extra funds buy a media reactor.

a 40g breeder can have just as much or more bioload as a 100g tank. depending on LR, #of fish, lighting, circulation, etc... some people dont run their skimmers 24hrs also. this is a trial and error process IMO. they arent 100% needed for a successful tank. but help with less water changes. dont be a label whore in this hobby. sure the knowledgeable sites and companies still try to make profit. but u can accomplish alot of the same things with CHEAPER unbranded products.

Buy the best skimmer you can afford. Quality skimmers make bubbles, yes, but they are easier to tune, last longer, are more efficient and will last longer.
Stating skimmers just make bubbles is like saying a yugo is just as good as a Porsche, because the both move you from paint A to point B

I've owned fairly cheap skimmers , and I've owned really high end ones. High end wins.

Right now I'm in the middle ha

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

iifeainteasy;1065279 wrote: cheap ebay skimmer... skimmers make bubbles... PERIOD. i paid 35 bucks for my skimmer which is now 27 bucks on ebay. it skims great dark thick solid matter. ALL A SKIMMER DOES IS MAKE BUBBLES!! its rated for 150g but i have it on my 36g bow system(in sump). Save the money on a costly skimmer and get a cheap skimmer. with extra funds buy a media reactor.

I have to strongly disagree with this statement. Skimmers don't just make bubbles. There are major differences between cheap skimmers and good quality ones. Usually the sub $100 skimmers don't even run on a pump... just air and a limewood air-stone... which in my opinion is all but useless.

I think a skimmer is something NOT to go cheap on. Get the best one you can afford.

I agree. I had a cheap hob shimmer on a previous tank and it barely produced skimmate. The reef octopus 150 and 110 both pull out a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

i am currently using a 35 in sump chinese protein skimmer. i think i paid 35 bucks for it at the time. and i am quite pleased with it. some people didnt have the issue of budget when it came down to equipment. but i did when i first started the hobby maybe 6-7 months ago. so i researched. and took an impulse buy to get a cheap skimmer with pump. and from my review of this skimmer. it is great for the price. rated for a 150g system. i get dark skimmate from it regularly. if youre on a budget but still want a quality skimmer for the price. get the ebay skimmer with a pump for 27-35 dollars. 2 weeks on deliver but its worth the purchase. FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE in using the product. if/when i upgrade to a larger system(currently at 36g Dt and 8g sump) i would consider possibly a larger and more efficient skimmer. but if you need a SOLID(not great) skimmer for cheap. go with an ebay one for the time being. (money saved by a media reactor, lol)

Back