Question about setting up a UV

nhannon8

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a Current USA Gamma 40 watt UV on my 75 gallon reef tank. I'm sure this is overkill, but it gives me the chance to go to a larger tank without having to buy all new stuff. My question is, do I plumb it into my return line or just run it off a powerhead. I am running a Mag 7, and everything I have read about this UV says the flow from the Mag 7 would be good to kill everything including ich. I know adding the UV will raise the temp and I'm concerned an additional MJ1200 will just add more heat.
Also, should I run it 24/7 or just a few hours a day? I am not trying to cure anything, every fish I add goes to quarantine and so far so good. I do plan on adding one or two tangs in the future and know they have a hard time with ich so I'm trying to prevent, rather than cure.
Any thought on the plumbing and run time would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Nathan.

IMO, with you running an open top and a fan in your sump area heat would not be a concern especially if you can elevate your lights an inch or two off the tank... not a big deal as you are going to do leds soon... the Mag 7 will push water twice as fast through the UV over the MJ1200 as it is only 295 GPH when set up as a pump. This is not counting headloss you will have through elbows and pipe... this is what the UV can handle Max. Flow @ 30000µw sec/cm2: 2880 gph

I would build a small manifold off the mag.
My $.02

I am running the Gamma 40w on my tank. Fed through a manifold by a much larger pump. However, I am also using a flow guage and reduce flow to the proper rate for killing ich, etc. (180-200 gph. For the Gamma 40w).

showthread.php

nickg;901914 wrote: I would build a small manifold off the mag.
My $.02

+1 I use a manifold to direct flow to my calcium reactor, gfo, and UV sterilizer.

Ive read its bad to run such a high UV (way past flow recommendations)? I've read it kills the good bacteria (phytoplankton etc.)?
Another reason I'm asking is because a few years ago a experienced reefer told me to get the biggest UV I could afford. Then while shopping around the websites that sell them clearly tell you not to over kill!

Whatca think?
Thanks

My understanding is most of the beneficial bacteria resides on the live rock and sand. Anything that is killed in the water column is minimal.

Ok, makes sense. It's just odd that the manufacture would discourage buyers from spending more money on their product!

Camellia;901956 wrote: Ive read its bad to run such a high UV (way past flow recommendations)? I've read it kills the good bacteria (phytoplankton etc.)?
Another reason I'm asking is because a few years ago a experienced reefer told me to get the biggest UV I could afford. Then while shopping around the websites that sell them clearly tell you not to over kill!

Whatca think?
Thanks

I know that there are a lot of conflicting arguments about the use of UV sterilizers; however, it is my understanding that you cannot over sterilize your tank.

Nathan
I would run it 24/7 and feed it from a manifold with a properly sized pump to handle the return and the added manifold. If you plan to go larger you could go with a larger pump and dial it back. If heat becomes an issue I would entertain using a different pump (brand/ type). Mags are old diehards but they have a history of running on the warm side. Maybe an external pump if real estate allows it. Back to run time, I ran a 57 watt on my 250 gallon system 24/7 at around 150 gph with positive results. I never had ich and I had several tangs but I also was fanatical about my quarantining .

Nathan.....I think it's already been said and it's sound advice....manifold it so you can control flow rate and run it 24/7. I run mine that way and the heat that's added by the UV is minimal. I sometimes have to run heaters just to keep the temp up (I don't have a high heat load).

Back