Question about UV burn on corals

ouling

Market
Reaction score
I recently changed from garbage Radium 14ks to the brightest possible ESV 10ks. The par rating doubled and there is absolutely no way I could light acclimate all my corals. The high light one are used to it, but one of my pink mili is UV burnt, it is situated on a 20-30 lb rock supporting almost everything. Should I just let the coral burn and hope it'll come back (only the top tissue is bleached), or actually try to move the guy to the middle?

Thanks for the help.

did you do any reduced light period or just let the halides stay on your full photo period? If you have no way to raise and lower the halides I'ld give your corals a rest for a day with no light. Then the next day only have your lights on for a few hours, increasing the photoperiod an hour a day or two days till you get to your normal light cycle. Just keep eye on it, I'm not sure if UV burn will cause RTN, but make sure youre ready to clip if it starts.

Hi,

You can acclimate your corals in several ways. Not just moving them.

Try reducing the photo period and then build it up slowly.

I'm also not sure if your bulbs are SE or DE but as long as you have a glass shield you should not have any UV issues.

I have UV burnt my corals before and they burn brown/black like cancer.

So the bleaching you are experiencing is probably coming from increased heat. Have you noticed this by any chance.

can you put something over that part of the tank to create a shadow? (piece of wood across the tank or something)

off topic, but what is the color like on this lamp and where did you get it? can you post a pic? I'm ready to change bulbs and saw that this was a par beast!

The temp in my tank is extremely stable. I keep it at 83-85 degrees for the past year or so. I think it may also be caused by the lack of food due to my BB setup in conjunction with the increased lighting. The part of the coral facing strong light is bleaching/fading/Dying. I'm going to add a DSB fuge today to suppliment the food source.

I use SE 400W X 2 and no glass sheilding.

buy some window screen from home depot/lowes. This will shade very well.

Layers of screen are a good option when you do not want to move the corals. Just allow them to acclimate and then remove a layer.

Rit is correct, high temps can cause bleaching, maybe it just compounded the problem with the new bulb, Anytime I switch out bulbs I drop the photo period to half and slowly increase, 1/2 hr weekly increments, without any issues......

Back