Question on ORP

hhv00586

Market
Reaction score
Some time back I got myself an ORP probe. From what I gathered the reading is less important than the monitoring of when it starts to drop off to indicate you need to do a water change

But maybe I got my facts wrong

Anyway I have had the ORP running for almost 4mths, and in that time the ORP reads average 427, each day ranging from ~345 which it hits each midnight to 435 through the mid afternoon

This cycle is the same every day for months now

I have done no water changes (I do supplement trace elements) and run a calc.reactor

After all this time - why no ORP drop off, do I keep doing no water changes - things seem healthy
BTW - tank is a 150g

I believe that the only time you will see big spikes on orp is when something dies and begins to decay in the tank.

Mine only varies by 10mv to 20mv and hovers around 370mv. With my levels I have experienced a dip if something dies, perform a water change, get contaminates in my system or by adding something like prime. Other than that I haven't seen mine move much.

hhv00586;1078483 wrote: Some time back I got myself an ORP probe. From what I gathered the reading is less important than the monitoring of when it starts to drop off to indicate you need to do a water change

But maybe I got my facts wrong

Anyway I have had the ORP running for almost 4mths, and in that time the ORP reads average 427, each day ranging from ~345 which it hits each midnight to 435 through the mid afternoon

This cycle is the same every day for months now

I have done no water changes (I do supplement trace elements) and run a calc.reactor

After all this time - why no ORP drop off, do I keep doing no water changes - things seem healthy
BTW - tank is a 150g
Do you run an uv?

Turn it off one night and see if it makes a difference. I have on mine and it does drop. Not saying it will but it would be interesting to see if yours does. Uv s do produce some ozone but im not sure it is enough to make a difference.

grouper therapy;1078564 wrote: Turn it off one night and see if it makes a difference. I have on mine and it does drop. Not saying it will but it would be interesting to see if yours does. Uv s do produce some ozone but im not sure it is enough to make a difference.

I'm really interested to find that out as well.

Back