Question on water pumps

DannyBradley;61998 wrote: 4. I've seen tanks with plenty of flow from powerheads crash when the main system was off. One of my clients turned off his system to feed his sea horses and left his office for the night without tunring it back on. There was still a 5X turnover in the tank from powerheads. He lost 90% of his livestock overnight.
What did it crash from? Certainly not lack of oxygenation unless his pumps were at the bottom of the tank. Properly placed power heads at the surface create more gas exchange than virtually any other component in a system.

Cameron;62195 wrote: What did it crash from? Certainly not lack of oxygenation unless his pumps were at the bottom of the tank. Properly placed power heads at the surface create more gas exchange than virtually any other component in a system.

It would to hard at this point to figure what the exact means of demise were, but I would think a the huge collective surface area of the drops moving through a filter plate and skimmer would add more oxygen. This calls for me picking up an O2 test kit.

Oh, and of course the powerheads were properly placed.

Xyzpdq0121;62163 wrote: "Wait!" you say, "Something must be wrong, I still get some crap on my rocks!" Awsome, use your "clean up crew" for what they are there to do, clean up!

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to avoid the need of a large cleanup crew in the first place, as they add more waste to the tank?

Back