Questions about Clownfish

dylan ringwood

Market
Reaction score
Ok so my clowns are pretty young and there are only two. The size comparison is about 1 inch difference and the bigger one seems to be attacking the smaller one every now and then i can't really tell if she is just trying to put him in his place or not. Like i said it's not all the time. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

What kind of clownfish? How long have they been together? Are there any other fish in the tank? What size tank are they in?

The larger one will be (or become) female. As she reaches sexual maturity she will start dominating the smaller male. This is common for clownfish. I wouldn't worry too much unless the bullying starts causing noticeable damage to the smaller fish. They typically work it out, though, and live happily ever after. :)

Haha its a 40g breeder, just regular oscllaris (spell check) been together for maybe a month, and 4 other fish mandarin goby 2 chromis, and a coral beauty

Ok it's what I kinda figured now hopefully they will host the bta I just got

You mean the anemone will host the clowns, right? ;)

Usually they duke it out and come to an understanding. Very occasionally I would have to separate a pair that didn't work it out, if the male (smaller one) was getting torn up. I've seen instances where the female, or transitioning female just did not tolerate the male she was being paired with.

Normally though, the female literally stresses the male into remaining male, so she will always and forever, hen-peck him to keep him a man.

:lol:

Don't even go there, gentlemen...

Jenn

JennM;955121 wrote: You mean the anemone will host the clowns, right? ;)

Usually they duke it out and come to an understanding. Very occasionally I would have to separate a pair that didn't work it out, if the male (smaller one) was getting torn up. I've seen instances where the female, or transitioning female just did not tolerate the male she was being paired with.

Normally though, the female literally stresses the male into remaining male, so she will always and forever, hen-peck him to keep him a man.

:lol:

Don't even go there, gentlemen...

Jenn

Haha funny and yes I do mean the bta will host the clowns! Thank you they seem fine and for the 1st time the bigger one has swam through the bta it was a proud day.

Back