Questions about moving a system....

mapleredta

Market
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be picking up a 20 gallon set-up. I have a few buckets for the fish, the shrimps and snails/crabs. Now, my question is with the weather being as cold as it has been lately, should I do anything special for the LR? (I will be cooking the LR and using brand new sand) I wouldn't think so but just thought I would ask.

My final question. The live stock is a Pistol shrimp/goby pair. Should I keep them together on the ride home? If I put the Coral banded shrimp in that bucket would that cause an issue? Or should I put him in with the snails & crabs?

Sorry for all the questions.:D

no noting special for the lr since you are cooking it. you might want to make sure your bucket for the fish stays warm. Buckets are not insulater well and will get cold fast!!!

Xyzpdq0121;273780 wrote: no noting special for the lr since you are cooking it. you might want to make sure your bucket for the fish stays warm. Buckets are not insulater well and will get cold fast!!!
The buckets will be in the cab of the truck with me. So they should pretty much stay warm wouldn't you think?

you keep the cab of your truck at 80 degrees?!? ;)

Seriouisly, you would be better off going to a LFS and getting a big cooler that they recieve shipments in and bagging each fish and coral then you would be just throwing them in a bucket. But it all depends on how far you have to go. If you are only going 10 miles, no big deals. If you are going 60+, big deal, IMHO!

Xyzpdq0121;273788 wrote: you keep the cab of your truck at 80 degrees?!? ;)

Seriouisly, you would be better off going to a LFS and getting a big cooler that they recieve shipments in and bagging each fish and coral then you would be just throwing them in a bucket. But it all depends on how far you have to go. If you are only going 10 miles, no big deals. If you are going 60+, big deal, IMHO!
:doh: Yeah good point. There are no fish stores around here. I did however, get some fish bags from a guy in walmart.

Xyzpdq0121;273788 wrote: you keep the cab of your truck at 80 degrees?!? ;)

Actually I do. :)

I moved my 10g up from savannah and had 3 small buckets, cause I had 3 small fish and snails in one, one for the crabs, and one for frags (only had 3). They were kept in my car which I keep 80, actaully I think it went to 84 then I turned it down. :)

It wasn't hard and I didn't lose any fish or crabs or snails, that I found. I kept the rock in a bucket as well. And I had all the original water so I had no cycle at all.

Like Xyz said, not hard at all.

O and I moved it up from Savannah, GA which is 4 hours but I took 5 for some reason. The distance is ~263mi away.

What Brandon said. And keep the coral banded shrimp seperated.

There's a store in Bonaire- On the corner of 96 and Houston Lake, I think-.. They are a sponser too..

No pet stores around here that I could get a shimpment box from, so im SOL. What could I use for heat?

What about one of those white styrofoam coolers from Wally world that's about a buck.. They should stay warm for a little while since they come with lids.

RaisingTwo2006;273803 wrote: I know you aren't headed across 96 and through Columbus?? Cuz surely you'd plan on stopping by..
>

Uh-Huh- Been caught have we?

No one EVER comes this way so it's MANDATORY that anyone in a 20 mile traveling route STOP BY!!

RaisingTwo2006;273810 wrote: Uh-Huh- Been caught have we?

No one EVER comes this way so it's MANDATORY that anyone in a 20 mile traveling route STOP BY!!
Any corals you want to uh, give away kinda cheap? :D

Ya, any cooler will work... What I would also do is take a kitchen towel (at worse case a paper towl) and wet it. I pop mine in the microwave for about 10 seconds and then throw a dry towel over it and pop it in the bottom of the cooler. Then I place the bags of fish on top of it. It warms the air in the cooler to help with the temp on cold days such as this. Heck, i do that if I am even driving across atlanta with something because a bag with 12oz of water can chill out really quickly!!!!

mapleredta;273801 wrote: No pet stores around here that I could get a shimpment box from, so im SOL. What could I use for heat?

As Kimberly says get a styrofoam cooler and get some of the chemical hand or foot warmers from the sporting goods section. They're intended to stick in gloves or boots....

Gwhiz;273818 wrote: As Kimberly says get a styrofoam cooler and get some of the chemical hand or foot warmers from the sporting goods section. They're intended to stick in gloves or boots....
I was thinking that but I didn't want to say it and sound like an idiot. One of the buckets is a styrofoam bait bucket. (styrofoam bucket inside of a plastic bucket) the other has a plastic bucket with slots inside of the plastic bucket so you can easily get the bait out.

mapleredta;273813 wrote: Any corals you want to uh, give away kinda cheap? :D
I got a couple things I could throw your way- xenia, hairy mushrooms, greenish blue palys, little frag of hydno.. And maybe a few other things-You wouldn't leave empty handed unless you chose to.

Back