Questions on Lionfish

ray8fish

Supporting
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get a new lionfish to begin eating frozen foods? I recently purchase one and afraid he may not be eating. Thanks !!!!

ah yes I remember these days quite well. First keep in mind that a lion fish can go about a month without eating. Tho that doesnt mean to not feed him. You could try to soak some food in garlic, that helps to attract them. If that doesnt work, you might try to bob some food close to him, or toss a lil chunk of formula one cubes, frozen cubes of mysis, or silver sides. Once the linofish gets to know you, he'll know why youre there and he'll start to come to the top of the water expecting food. If youre worried about him not eating or if those tricks dont work, dont get discouraged, just buy some ghost shrimp and pop a couple in the tank, he'll for sure go after those. next feeding time, throw in one ghost shrimp once he goes after that, try throwing in some prepared food and see if he'll eat it then. Its a long task, sometimes it'll happen right away, sometimes it takes longer than you want it to. I think i had my guy eating formula one cubes 2 months after i bought him. Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

Ray...you got a lionfish? Cool! For the club tank?

Take pics and post.

Back