Ragged fins on the hippo tang

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
I've noticed that my hippo tang's "mane" right by his rear fin has been ragged. It looks like some critter has been munching on him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesvoboda/2870442153/sizes/l/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesvoboda/2870442153/sizes/l/</a>

Is this a sign of disease? Anything I can do to help the guy out?

Fin rot? Maybe it is stress.

What kind of tank is 'he' in? How are the parameters?

swimming too fast? kinda like when a flag flaps in the wind for a long time it becomes ragged.. lol.. Seriously at least it doesn't look like anything wrong with his body.. Do you have a power head in the tank maby he could back in to and get the end of his fin chipped off? or anything like that..

Dizam! His tail is all jacked up aswell... We need more information on this tank setup to help further though

Yah, those dimples are odd, not white though, maby black ich?

dawgdude;220027 wrote: If you look closely at the head around the gills area, you can see little "dimples" almost all over. Those are not normal and not a good sign.

What food does this guy get?

I would suggest soaking his nori in garlic guard and selecon (both available at most LFS). I would also look into picking up a few medications made by Seachem such a metronitizone and kanaplex which will help the fish to recover. Keep him VERY well fed and he will hopefully pull through.

Also what are the other tank mates with it?

Thanks guys for the advice. Sorry it took a few days to reply. I definatly need to get a testing kit -- I've been taking my water to the LFS monthly for testing and he's more or less giving me advise on the water params. =/ Not good i know... Any suggestions for a good "all-in-one" testing kit?

The hippo tang has looked like this for about 2 months now. I've been feeding him Nori, alternating between "meaty / veggy" flakes, formula 1 pellets, and frozen brine. I don't have a sump/fuge, so my tank is kind of an "all in one" setup. The protein skimmer, heater, and filter are all in the main display tank. Its not ideal, but its the only option I had because of the room I had to work with. If I had to do this all over again, I wouldn't have put a tank above my fireplace and would have gone with a stand/canopy setup in the first place.

I've seen the hippo occassionally "scratching" himself against the LR and snails in the tank. I thought it could be ich as well because his face has been flaking, but I haven't yet seen any white spots. Also, all of the other fishies in the tank have been doing awesome -- only the hippo is showing these weird signs.

I have this guy in a 65G tank. Could that be the issue? Is 65G too small for this guy?

Here's the list of stuff in the tank. I'll reply to this thread with the water params once I go to the LFS to get it tested.

Some more pictures of the tanks. There are actually two -- a 45 and 65Gal tanks back to back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesvoboda/sets/72157607377610669/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesvoboda/sets/72157607377610669/</a>

65 Gallon Tank
Marineland 400 Hang-on back filter, 4 activated carbon carterages, 2 biowheels
Lee's Counter Current protein skimmer, 14 inch, driven by Rena 400 air pump, limewood diffuser
~60 pounds live rock
2 in live sand bed
GLO 24" Dual T5 HO Fluorescent, 1 x 24w 10,000K; 1 x 24w Atinic
R2 Solutions Moonlight

Regal Tang (Hippo/Blue Tang)
4 green chromis
Royal Gramma
Bluestripe neon goby
circus goby (black and white)
2 true percula clown misbars

4 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
~60 snails, ~60 assorted crabs
feather duster worm

pulsing xenia
2 ricordea orange mushroom
1 ricordea yellow mushroom
1 ricordea green mushroom

Frogspawn
red trumpet / candy cane (Blastomussa?)
favites closed brain (green)

Acropora Sp. Pink

45 gallon Tank
Marineland 280 Hang-on back filter, 2 activated carbon carterages, 1 biowheel
Lee's Counter Current protein skimmer, 14 inch, driven by Rena 400 air pump, limewood diffuser
~40 lbs live rock
2 in live sand bed
GLO 24" Dual T5 HO Fluorescent, 1 x 24w 10,000K; 1 x 24w Atinic
R2 Solutions Moonlight

Coral Beauty Angelfish
Royal Gramma
yellow watchman goby
blackfin flame wrasse

2 peppermint shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp
Anemone Crab