Rate tank on how happy u r w/ it today! from A-D

i tend to keep my phosphates about .02. I use rowaphos & phosar and change it every two weeks. If i my phates go any higher then that my corals tend to lighten up. So I keep it at that.

I think this should be broken down into multiple categories. Hardware, livestock, corals, automation, etc. I would likely answer each differently and I am curious to see what others would say.

90 - B - WIP (Top Priority) - Need to work on the lights and sump......

12 Gallon Nano - A+

2.5 Pico - B - still WIP (Low Priority) - Need to stock it....

I'd have to give my 160 a B. With the addition of the beckett and some issues with my calcium reactor regulator, the tank was off for about 2 weeks. I think after stabilization it will bounce back up to a A to me. And if I get some growth spurts in my SPS and my zoas then I think extra credit will be warranted and it could push the grade to a A++ with a big ol' smilie face!

mysterybox;119286 wrote: first, are you sure that's it's cyano as opposed to diatoms? or algae? If it's cyanobacteria, than chemiclean should have taken care of that, since I believe it's an antibiotic. More flow helps & suck it up helps, too!

Unfortunatly..

It's red, slimy, growing on the rocks, and sand super thick. The chemiclean will get rid of most of it, but it won't get it all.. Not a single time has it gotten it all. And so I try to suck it off the rocks. Not working..Some of it will peel off like a sheet, some just blows little cyano bits EVERYWHERE!! And then I have cyano growing in new spots! Nothing will eat it, and it just wants to grow up on my corals... I have left the lights off for 48 hours, covering the tank with dark blanket to ensure no light got through.. the only thing that happened was my kenya trees and xenia looked superdroopy..

if you can add a little flow to that area without blowing up the sand, it should take care of the issue, IMHO.

gave it a B.....All my specs. are fine...but I cant seem to get my magnesium high enough or my calcium.....dosing Alk, Cal, and Mag daily and my alk raises and drops but I cant get my calcium above 380 without overdosing as per the reccomended dosing per doses. same goes for the Mag...never above 1125.??????????

Yeah, I know that I need flow.. I have a Mag350 canister filter on there now.. Had two HOB whisper filters running (no filter, they were purely for flow)... but a friend is borrowing one to help cycle her tank, and the other, well, I broke the impeller.

My next thing to get for the tank is definatly some type of powerhead.. as soon as I can find a cheap one.

B - It's nice but not perfect. I don't think I'll ever give myself an A. There is always stuff to do!

Equipment is a b+, fish A, corals b-, automation A+

jade76;119492 wrote: gave it a B.....All my specs. are fine...but I cant seem to get my magnesium high enough or my calcium.....dosing Alk, Cal, and Mag daily and my alk raises and drops but I cant get my calcium above 380 without overdosing as per the recommended dosing per doses. same goes for the Mag...never above 1125.??????????

what salt mix? what are you using for calcium & alk? You could always dose just the calcium part of a 2 part slowly each day until it is where you want it. You could also use a salt that has high mag like tropic marine pro reef or just add some seachem mag daily until it is where you want it.
here's a calculator:

http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html">http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html</a>

My job is to shed light, not to master it.
nice.......

B for me. Still have a few things that I need to put on the tank. Other than that, its going pretty well.

mysterybox;119286 wrote: first, are you sure that's it's cyano as opposed to diatoms? or algae? If it's cyanobacteria, than chemiclean should have taken care of that, since I believe it's an antibiotic. More flow helps & suck it up helps, too!

The skimmer are putting out too much bouble. Which should be a good thing, but not for me since it put out too much bouble and over spill are over the place. I even took out the Maxi jet 1200 and replace it with an maxi jet 400 and still getting the same thing. I had open up everything that I can and now are cutting air from going into the skimmer. :sad:

jade76;119492 wrote: gave it a B.....All my specs. are fine...but I cant seem to get my magnesium high enough or my calcium.....dosing Alk, Cal, and Mag daily and my alk raises and drops but I cant get my calcium above 380 without overdosing as per the reccomended dosing per doses. same goes for the Mag...never above 1125.??????????
Try a different test kit or borrow a friends to see if that mag reading is right. Mag doesn't really drop that fast and I don't of anything that limits it to a number that low. You might also try a different supplement. Also the dosing instructions for calcium are a guideline. If your corals are really growing you will easily need to up the calcium and alk additives. Right now though concentrate on getting the mag up (water changes may help) and then try raising the calcium and alk.

RaisingTwo2006;119496 wrote: Yeah, I know that I need flow.. I have a Mag350 canister filter on there now.. Had two HOB whisper filters running (no filter, they were purely for flow)... but a friend is borrowing one to help cycle her tank, and the other, well, I broke the impeller.

My next thing to get for the tank is definatly some type of powerhead.. as soon as I can find a cheap one.
As someone mentioned one of the major causes and fixes for cyano is flow. Throw an MJ or better in as soon as you can.

My main tank is a 24G AP and a short while ago I would have given it an A, but since my Maroon Clown has decided she no longer likes the way I have put things in, it is now a B. She keeps yanking the corals loose and throwing them to the sand in the front of the tank. I finally gave up putting them back and arranged them in the front sand bed or moved them to the frag tank. Now she moves sand from the back of the tank to the front on top of the corals. Just a couple of days ago she decided it was time to move my big beautiful Kenya Tree, but it is firmly attached to a big rock and can't be dislodged. Unfortunately, she pulls on it so much it no longer opens. Plus, she hosts in a bed of Fire and Ice Zoas so she is irratating them as well.

Hopefully, once she gets the tank the way she wants it I'll accept it and give it an A again.

I gave mine a C I am having some algae problems right now. I have backed down my light cycle and will see what happens.

nitrates at 10 won't really cause too much issues unless you have stony corals. Fish won't care.
Nitrates: water changes, nitrate reactor (sulfur), or you could try AZ-NO3. My trates hover around .2 to .5.

Back