Rawn's LED attempt

roundman

Market
Reaction score
OK here is the plan.

75g tank

I am going to build 2 banks of leds with 24 each (12 cool white and 12 Royal blue and 2 meanwell ELN-60-48P's). The color may change once done. It will be controlled by Arduino. Hoping to control the fans with a temp probe and relays to turn on/off the drivers at diff times to eliminate the inrush problem the meanwells have.

I have already been playing with the Arduino and have built a clock..lol.

I have 12 leds with 12 more on the way. The heatsinks and other electronic parts are in the mail.

No pics yet but once everything is here I will try to post progress.

I am open to any help or constructive criticism

Thanks for stopping by.

Got this from RC there ia a lot of reading about LED's there.

This is the wiring diagram for the LED's. I will post the wiring for the Arduino later.

Still waiting on the mail person to bring the goodies.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
642677=30608-wiring with fuses.jpg
>
642677=30608-wiring with fuses.jpg
class="gc-images" title="wiring with fuses.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

roundman;642677 wrote: Got this from RC there ia a lot of reading about LED's there.

This is the wiring diagram for the LED's. I will post the wiring for the Arduino later.

Still waiting on the mail person to bring the goodies.
Rawn why are they wired in series vs parallel?

?

Its 2 strings of series in parallel. Each driver can handle 24 leds in this configuration. From what I have read this is the best way to connect them, they use more current than voltage to drive them.

Got 12 more LEDS in today...yea. now waiting on the heatsinks and the other components. Wait, wait, wait it seems that is all you do.

Yea more components today. Heatshinks are suppose to be here tomorrow, of course I will be out of town for a couple of days so hope to start working on mounting the led's Saturday..

Ok here are some pics.
1. is the clock...lol
2. is my breadboard for the components. Once I have it working I will fit into a box of some sort to clean it up.

I am drilling the Heatsinks tomorrow so hope to have some of the LED's mounted this weekend.
644622=30713-P5050059.jpg
>
644622=30713-P5050059.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P5050059.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
644622=30714-P5130061.jpg
>
644622=30714-P5130061.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P5130061.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Well I think I am officially blind.

The leds are working and now working on the arduino software to control the them.

Here is a pic with them on but you can't see much
645234=30750-P5150062.jpg
>
645234=30750-P5150062.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P5150062.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

How much did u end up spending on every thing if u dont mind me asking?

I am going to build 2 of these for my 75gal. This one cost around 300.00 but the second one won't cost that much because all I need is the leds and heatsink (35.00). I can drive both off of the drivers and the controller I already have so I figure around 400 for 2 lights (24 leds each).

I had the lights on for about 5 hrs today and the heatsink never got hotter than warm. I will probably add a fan just because I have them.

roundman;645291 wrote:

I had the lights on for about 5 hrs today and the heatsink never got hotter than warm. I will probably add a fan just because I have them.

This is for 24 LED's? And how big of a heatsink?

I'm about to start my 72"x8" 96 LED light and am wondering how the heat situation will work out...

-Phil

On my 55 I am going with two 8.5x16 inch heat sinks. Here's a good thread to look at as well....http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9113-DIY-3watt-LED-Lighting">http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9113-DIY-3watt-LED-Lighting</a>

There are a lot of options on Led lighting.

coolsurf;651560 wrote: On my 55 I am going with two 8.5x16 inch heat sinks. Here's a good thread to look at as well....http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9113-DIY-3watt-LED-Lighting">http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9113-DIY-3watt-LED-Lighting</a>

There are a lot of options on Led lighting.[/QUOTE]

Are you doing the same idea "Hook" did on that link you posted? I will be on the look out of this thread to see how your lights come to for a 55g. I also have a 55g looking to build a custom canopy myself and looking for great ideas to come up with a lighting idea myself. But all that will come later, right now I am focusing in coming up with an overflow idea. I can't find anything here I tried search and nothing specific.

I am utilizing several ideas. I am going with the basic led setup that "Hook" did but I am using the drivers and power supply that JAustin is using here in ARC for his 120G build. I will be running it all through Arduino/ReefKeeper when the initial build is done.

The canopy came out nice and will give me more than enough room to place the assembled led unit which will be hinged in order to provide easy access to the tank.

Overflow? Are you talking to the sump? You can drill if your glass is not tempered or go with an overflow box. Your call.

I will be posting it up very soon and pass on my leads.

coolsurf;652042 wrote: I am utilizing several ideas. I am going with the basic led setup that "Hook" did but I am using the drivers and power supply that JAustin is using here in ARC for his 120G build. I will be running it all through Arduino/ReefKeeper when the initial build is done.

The canopy came out nice and will give me more than enough room to place the assembled led unit which will be hinged in order to provide easy access to the tank.

Overflow? Are you talking to the sump? You can drill if your glass is not tempered or go with an overflow box. Your call.

I will be posting it up very soon and pass on my leads.

Definitely looking forward for the outcome of those lights. Would like to see pictures of your canopy if you don't mind.

You lost me there about "talking to the sump?" lol Well I been thinking the idea of drilling holes in the back close to the rim, just not sure on the design. If i was to go with an overflow box, I am looking to find a way where is not noticeable at all. I am thinking in paint my rear glass black.

I guess if I go with the overflow box, I am looking for an external idea box. I am trying to avoid from having any equipment inside my DT.

Amici;641951 wrote: I think you may want to add blue LEDs to the mix. Setups I've seen with white and RB are a bit harsh on the eyes as the blue LEDs seems to really even it out nicely.

Blue LED's are essentially worthless for coral, wrong spectrum. Royal Blue is in the correct range for coral growth.

Crew;652124 wrote: Blue LED's are essentially worthless for coral, wrong spectrum. Royal Blue is in the correct range for coral growth.
What are those nm/spectrums ? Blues vs. royal blue that is.

Royal Blue is dominant in 450-465nm
Blue is dominant 465-485nm

Photosynthesis is 420-460nm

Back