Red Acro bugs

mclovin

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have good advice on how to treat these things? I've read about adding Interceptor for dogs or getting a pipefish. While these both sound cute, I would rather not put flea killer in my tank and there is no way I'm getting a pipe fish. Oddly, I don't have any Acro or SPS for that matter. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I didn't think you could have redbugs if you didn't have SPS. Are you positive they are redbugs?

No pics, but checked into flatworms and that is definitely the problem. I've had my nano going strong since February and never noticed these things.

I guess I can reduce the nutrient level by laying off the fish food. Does anyone have an idea if adding a six line wrasse will be effective? Also, fresh water dipping? I've never had to do anything like that and am a little apprehensive. Thanks again for the help.

Yes, sixlines will eat flatworms. You can also use flatworm exit but you will need to siphon out as many as possible because they release toxins when they die.

Mclovin
If you had redbugs there is nothing wrong with using Interceptor in a tank. 100's of people use it and it has no ill effect on anything except inverts. Does not hurt corals or fish

I very strong mixture of iodide and tank water will work as an excellent dip for your corals. The flatworms will melt away.

I would syphon as many as you can and use natural predators (melenarus, six line, etc.). You could also use fw exit, but will need to do a few treatments.

So, do you have flatworms, or red bugs? I'm confused, and more so than usual.

There are cases of redbugs infesting some LPS, such as elegance or euphyllids, but usually it is conjuction with an SPS collection.

Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to try the siphon technique along with some treatment of fw exit. This seems to be the safest in my eyes.

If this doesn't work then I will look into the interceptor a little more seriously.

Thanks Barabra for the offer. If things get really sticky I may shoot you a pm.

Sorry for the confusion jmaneyapanda, they are definitely flat worms. I guess 9 months in I was due for something to happen. Things seemed to be going a little to smoothely.

Interceptor works on redbugs, not flatworms. Initially I was lax and just put frags from different sources in my reef, and I got redbugs. I did the Interceptor treatment, and now every coral that hits my system gets a dip in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure (iodine based) for flatworms and a 6 hour high strength Interceptor bath for Redbugs.
Dave

Steve;223170 wrote: Mandarins will eat them.

Suppoosedly. I wouldnt suggest it though, because it is far from absolute. More likely is the cahnce the mandarin will starve.

We lost several clams not long after using the flat worm treatment in our tank - just be careful. We are not sure what lead to the clams death.

As far as interceptor is concerned - remember that it kills crabs so remove them first. We still lost one when we returned them to the tank a day or two after the Interceptor and with large water changes first.

There are red pods out there as well that are not "red bugs". Very similar but they are benign and simply hang out on the rocks and coralline.

As for flatworms, the best way is to have a natural predator. Wrasses of all sorts will do the job. 6-lines are the most popular for this but a radiant or other halichoeres wrasse will destroy flatworms as will some but not all fairies/flashers.

Just knocked out a water change and dipped a few rocks in fw. That seemed to help although I know there is more to come.

Barbara - Another power head makes sense and is on top of my to do list.

There was a silver lining in that I was able to break my first frag off of some traveling star polyps. I thought that was pretty cool. I grew that.

Does anyone know of a LFS that proactively dips their coral before putting it up for sale or does the burden fall on us? I've bought all of my livestock from reputable dealers that are all sponsonrs of the club.

MrsMojo;223206 wrote: We lost several clams not long after using the flat worm treatment in our tank - just be careful. We are not sure what lead to the clams death.

As far as interceptor is concerned - remember that it kills crabs so remove them first. We still lost one when we returned them to the tank a day or two after the Interceptor and with large water changes first.

The person that originated the use of Interceptor for Redbugs also recommends using GAC post treatment to remove the medication in addition to water changes. Makes sense. I have always used GAC to remove medication from freshwater tanks. That is what I did post treatment when I treated for redbugs: treat with Interceptor day 1,8, and 15. Post each treatment do a 25% waterchange with new GAC, and change the GAC again after 24 hours.
Dave

Back