red flatworm help

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
I have been reading on some red flatworms I have in my tank--they are like little small red dot-looking creatures. I also read that spotted mandarins like to eat them---will the green mandarins do the same? or just the spotted?

the green mandarin can eat them, but they're not reliable. The best predator would be the melenarus wrasse; they're brilliant. Another good one is the coris wrasse.

I tried a sixline, a mandarine goby and then finally I got a yellow coris wrasse and it was the one that did the trick.

I used a sixline for mine.It seemed like it took a long time though.Maybe one of the others mentioned will be faster.

I just got through a severe red flatworm infestation, and it was a rather traumatic experience. When we first noticed them I tried a six-line Wrasse and an Arrow crab, both recommended by my LFS. We also tried siphoning them out, but there were just way too many of them. There was no visible impact or reduction of the infestations with any of these remedies.

Down a separate thread, we added some Chemi-Clean to control some algae, the prescribed dosage for a 120g. Well, by the next morning all of the coral had gone into shock, were shut down and sliming like crazy. After adding carbon (bagged) to the refugium and three 25% water changes over the next 4 days, things started to return to normal. The flatworms are gone, but there were a couple of fatalities - my clam, a cleaner shrimp (although one did survive), and a couple of heads on the Sun Coral. All of the fish survived.

What happened was that the huge die-off of the flatworms released an overdose of toxins into the water, which is a known reaction. We refrained from using Flatworm Exit for that exact reason and were totally unaware that the Chemi-Clean would impact the flatworms.

Depending on how bad the infestation is, the flatworms really didn't seem to have an impact on the ecosystem of the tank, you could try Flatworm Exit or Chemi-Clean, but be ready to respond quickly to any reactions in the tank.

There are still a few flatworms wandering around, but should we should be better able to manage them going forward. Oh yeah, the algae is also gone!

Good Luck!

I went over to eric's yesterday and spotted the flatworms. sorry to be the bearer of bad news! :unsure:
i had a sixline once and realized after it was gone it must have been eating all the flatworms. ive read about several species (as mentioned above) eating them but I think they are all hit or miss. RIP sixline
but thanks a lot for the coral. its all opened up

yeah-no prob. loren-and thanks-I'd rather know now before they get WAY out of hand--

ericmcj31;252430 wrote: they're pretty numerous

Siphon out as many as you can and then dose with FWE. Make sure to have a decent amount of ASW mixed and ready to go.

flatworm exit was made by the devil. If you have a mass death of flatworms in your tank you will poison your corals even if you run a caister filter while you use it. I heard salifert stopped manufacturing this product anyway.

I agree with the platypus. I did it this way, very sucessfully:

1) Siphon as many out over the course of a few days as possible. Use a small hose, like 1/4" stuff so you wont drain too much water while you're working.

2) Be sure to have a good amount of WC water available. Enough for maybe 2-3 15-25% changes.

3) Turn out the lights and wait for the fish to 'go to sleep'

4) turn off all powerheads except one. Leave the return on, and if it has really good flow, you can also turn off the last PH, otherwise you will need it....

I had MANY worms and did this over teh course of maybe 1.5 hours with no loss.

5) Dose the EXIT per instructions. Once they start dying, put a mine-mesh fish net infront of the powerhead or return that is providing the flow.
-The net will catch many of the suspended dead bodies, reducing toxin transmission to the water. You may need to clean the net several times during this, as if you wait too long, the deteriorating bodies of teh worms will just break apart and leave the net through the holes..

6) keep this up until most of the flatworms are no longer in the column. Then just follow the directions on the EXIT for water changes and such. Keep an eye on the tank for several hours/days, and WC as needed.

If you're tank is diong well and your corals and fish are thriving, I'd reccomend controlling the planaria rather than trying to eliminate them. It's much safer and the planaria won't do any harm.

IMO the last thing you want to do is put a chemical in your tank that will kill anything. Only in a dire situation would I even begin to think about it. Planaria cannot hurt anything until they die.
You should try the Melenarus, it is my understanding that a single fish can clean a 700 gal system of flatworms. Please try every natural way before putting any undo stress on your ecosystem.

anyone seen these melanarus wrasses around?? I called SWC today and they did have any-and didn't sound like something they keep stocked.

Well, it's very important that you also figure out what flatworms you have. If they are just the regular white ones asome types of the bown red ones I think they are ok, but teh AEFWs can be bad news.

I kinda disagree in a way about adding livestock to a tank to control something. Unless you really want the livestock anyways. I mean, a classic example is adding pepperments to kill aptasia, then they dont eat it, then they eat polyps or tear up LPS, then you cant catch them, etc etc. Just be careful adding stock specifically to solve a problem, as it isnt always that cut and dry (even though in this case it may be)

On the other hand, I agree with Barb that the EXIT doesnt kill all of them forever, as I got a few more coming back at times, but my new candy hogfish eats them up, similarly to the yellow coris wrasse. I did kill my AEFWs though, and now a good coral dip for new arrivals seems to take care of any others.

Back