red sea 650

rodriguez

Market
Reaction score
i am planing to buy a red sea S series 650 175 gallons and my question is do i need to place additional support for this tank under the room where it will be set, specs say it weight 600 pounds, reason i ask is because my basement is finish, any advice is welcome , thank you

Can you give more info? So it will be on the first floor above the basement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MvM;1062044 wrote: Can you give more info? So it will be on the first floor above the basement?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes it will be on the first floor above the basement and the first floor has hardwood floor.

The tank itself weighs 600 lbs, with water, rock, equipment, etc... It will weigh closer to 2,200-2,500 lbs.

Assuming the stand sits flat on the floor and the load of the tank is distributed evenly across the base, that equates to "roughly" 180 psf. Typical residential framed flooring is designed to hold approx. 40 psf. Live load. With that said, the location in which you plan to place the tank may be able to support it depending on factors such as how close it is to an exterior wall, orientation to the joists, joist lengths, etc....

If you are unsure, then I suggest you have a licensed structural engineer take a look...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And remember the 40 psf is for the entire floor area . For instance a 100 sf room should be able to support 4000 lbs dispersed over it's entirety. I blow that sky high at around 275 psf. As Grant stated i suggest a engineer if in doubt. I've never seen a floor that wouldn't support a 200 to 300 gallon tank but I'm sure some exist.

grouper therapy;1062059 wrote: And remember the 40 psf is for the entire floor area . For instance a 100 sf room should be able to support 4000 lbs dispersed over it's entirety. I blow that sky high at around 275 psf. As Grant stated i suggest a engineer if in doubt. I've never seen a floor that wouldn't support a 200 to 300 gallon tank but I'm sure some exist.

Yes, agreed.

rodriguez;1062043 wrote: i am planing to buy a red sea S series 650 175 gallons and my question is do i need to place additional support for this tank under the room where it will be set, specs say it weight 600 pounds, reason i ask is because my basement is finish, any advice is welcome , thank you

Here's a good read.
a>

The more I read and learn it is making me change my mind about putting a tank on the main floor, so with that I will have to quit this hobby for good because I love this hobby and I don't like the small tanks and I hate to have it in the basement where nobody can't see it, thank you guys for all the information

I have two options, find the sweetest spot for the tank next to a wall in the main floor, make it match with an open area in the basement, then build and frame a chimney, an electric one. Nice rustic rock will make it look great. Framing from the chimney should be built to help the load on the joist.
Second option would be that if it's not space for a chimney and the spot in the basement doesn't look to your liking, build an Arch, I've seen some and the structure will help to support the load on the joist as well.

Is your basement finished? Definitely want it next to a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists.

Back