Red sea filter cup question

Doberman13

Trustee
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I was planning on building a filter sock holder for my new sump. Drilled my first 4" hole in the acrylic and realized the hole is just a little bit too big. It looks like I would need a 3.75" hole saw.
20201228_180759.jpg

For those of you with red sea filter cups, is the lip around the top the same size as filter socks or is it a little larger? It looks like it from the pictures online but I can't find any definitive answers.

About the same, cup almost looks a hair smaller but that may just be my eyesight

From what I've read on people switching to cups they have had to cut the ring off a filter sock to use to make a better seal. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The redsea cups are slightly smaller. If you order a generic one from anyone else they should be 4". It is redsea attempt to keep you buying their specific stuff kinda like how apple does.

My red sea cup is 3.96" in diameter including the lip. The flange looks like about 0.2" My average filter sock width including the lip is 4.130", a Red sea sock is right at 4". I don't have a RS tank anymore or I would measure the hole for you though I am sure it will be metric.

Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and put it all together and I'll deal with it once I get the cups. I may need a 3d printed ring for them to sit on but we'll figure that out before I get water in the tank.

Back