Reef crystal by instant ocean

Davidman

Reaction score
Hi,

is this salt good for mixed reef or even sps dominated if I doe for calc, mag, alk?

is $40 for 45lb bucket a good buy?

thanks!

Hi,

is this salt good for mixed reef or even sps dominated if I doe for calc, mag, alk?

is $40 for 45lb bucket a good buy?

thanks!
I’ve used it in the past. Nothing wrong with it. Alk mixes high at 1.025 and it leaves a brown residue in the mixing bucket. I prefer reg instant ocean over reef crystals. Mixes cleaner.

I personally use OG instant ocean

Yes, thousands have used it for years.. Are there better mixes out there...yes... Would i hesitate to use it. No.

Rit, at atlanta aquarium has the cheapest price i have found on a box of 200g salt mix. Amazon used to have the best price, But not no mo!

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

There’s a reason why it’s the most popular salt out there. It’s a good salt for a reasonable price. I switched over to Red Sea for a little while and although I think my corals were growing a little bit quicker using that salt, it just didn’t make enough of a difference to justify the cost. Everything has been doing well since I switched back to reef crystals.

You will find that salt, like everything else in this hobby is a matter of personal preference and the needs of your particular reef. I too, started with Instant Ocean, switched to Reef Crystals. My go to salt choice now is LiveAquaria Professional Reef salt. It mixes clean and my reef seems to respond well to it. Like @civics14, I stopped using Reef Crystals because of the brown sludge it created in my mixing container.

Reef Crystals. Yeah, sludge is a pain. But easy to find, inexpensive, and I know for certain my corals don't care.

I used IO, never cared for RC due to sludge.

I’m first cycling with a bucket of Live Aquaria I got on sale.

Then switching over to HW Marinemix, because it matches my desired parameters, uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients & will never worry about salt quality again.

Back