Reef Journal - First Build Ever!

I just did not think that 1ppm Ammonia represented very much of a spike. The more ammonia created the more bacteria grow to begin conversion. You have great guidance in the stores you mentioned so follow there lead. I have never used biospira as I feel natural developed bacterias will develop on there own in due time. I would spend that money on proper test kits and mechanical components. Good luck and have lots of fun:D

Oh yeah, welcome to the ARC.

Fish Scales2;344745 wrote: I just did not think that 1ppm Ammonia represented very much of a spike. The more ammonia created the more bacteria grow to begin conversion. You have great guidance in the stores you mentioned so follow there lead. I have never used biospira as I feel natural developed bacterias will develop on there own in due time. I would spend that money on proper test kits and mechanical components. Good luck and have lots of fun:D

Could not have said it better myself. NO chemicals EVER (ecexpt for the nutrients) Their is always a natural way of doing things in the tank. (God didn't use any chemicals why should we).
Chris c - Welcome to ARC

Fish Scales2;344745 wrote: I just did not think that 1ppm Ammonia represented very much of a spike. The more ammonia created the more bacteria grow to begin conversion.

there is a very large population of bacteria on the rock before the ammonia spike happens, and many people (including myself) have succesfully started tanks with no cycle whatsoever when using matured, cycled live rock and good filtration. now, there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different ways to do things in this hobby, and many of them are perfectly correct. I will agree 100% when you say "just do what the store you are working with tells you" because i'm sure kyle has his .02 as well and disagrees with both of us :p

ryanh487;344779 said:
there is a very large population of bacteria on the rock before the ammonia spike happens, and many people (including myself) have succesfully started tanks with no cycle whatsoever when using matured, cycled live rock and good filtration. now, there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different ways to do things in this hobby, and many of them are perfectly correct. I will agree 100% when you say "just do what the store you are working with tells you" because i'm sure kyle has his .02 as well and disagrees with both of us :p

Why would someone disagree with doing it naturally. thats just stupid

ryanh487;344779 wrote: there is a very large population of bacteria on the rock before the ammonia spike happens, and many people (including myself) have succesfully started tanks with no cycle whatsoever when using matured, cycled live rock and good filtration. now, there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different ways to do things in this hobby, and many of them are perfectly correct. I will agree 100% when you say "just do what the store you are working with tells you" because i'm sure kyle has his .02 as well and disagrees with both of us :p

Why would someone disagree with doing it naturally. thats just stupid

myVWrock;344805 wrote: Why would someone disagree with doing it naturally. thats just stupid

if it works, it's not stupid. i'm not saying that he should do it that way, i'm saying there's more than one way to skin this cat and none of them is the one right way. anyone who tells you there is only one way to do anything in this hobby is not someone i would recommend listening to.

I agree with you there are many ways to do this hobby but their is ONLY ONE way to do it right and properly. And that is by not using chemicals, what are chemicals really going to do for you in the long run (nothing). Well they will stay in your tank and after a lot of them build up is when you start running into problems. And cutting corners by using chemicals is not a way to "skin a cat". I am sorry that you have gotten miss information.

myVWrock;344812 wrote: I agree with you there are many ways to do this hobby but their is ONLY ONE way to do it right and properly. And that is by not using chemicals, what are chemicals really going to do for you in the long run (nothing). Well they will stay in your tank and after a lot of them build up is when you start running into problems. And cutting corners by using chemicals is not a way to "skin a cat". I am sorry that you have gotten miss information.

i'm not even going further to derail this thread by offering a response to this.

Thanks for the good perspectives on natural vs. chemical. I'll do some additional research before I add the Bio-Spira.

Here's my list of things to figure out and/or do:

1. Get my temperature stable. I installed the optional water cooling fan this afternoon and now I'm trying to dial in my thermostat.

I'm getting closer here. With the addition of the water cooling fan and running two water pumps and the thermostat controlled heater I have things at a stable 78.9 degrees F. Now to test the lights and skimmer and see if things will stay in a narrow temperature band. Progress is being made. :yessign:

After I get my temperature stable I'll start looking more carefully at starting a cycle.

So, back to that dead shrimp... really?

myVWrock;344812 wrote: I agree with you there are many ways to do this hobby but their is ONLY ONE way to do it right and properly. And that is by not using chemicals, what are chemicals really going to do for you in the long run (nothing). Well they will stay in your tank and after a lot of them build up is when you start running into problems. And cutting corners by using chemicals is not a way to "skin a cat". I am sorry that you have gotten miss information.

I am sorry that you have fallen victim to the "My way is the only right way, all others are wrong" mentality. Do you have a build thread? I would be interested in seeing all the non-chemical/natural ways you do things.

But, if your attitude is the prevalent attitude at Fish Scales, I will have to remember not to ever go in there. If I am going to be told my way is wrong simply because I do it a different way, then I won't ever go in there.

There are many ways to do things. And every last one of them has a drawback. Every one of them. The best that you can do or hope for is to know those drawbacks and then make an informed decision on which drawbacks you want to deal with. Doesn't make any method better/worse than any other method, just makes it different.

<p style="text-align:left">
Vox;344834 wrote: So, back to that dead shrimp... really?

Go to the grocery store and get a bottle of unscented/uncolored ammonia. Usually, the cheaper the brand, the less additives. If the shrimp is not frozen or preserved, then it should be fine to use for a cycle. I just prefer the pure ammonia because I am not adding anything else the shrimp may have in it (mainly Phosphates). If its frozen/preserved, they use phosphates as the preservative and will put it into the tank. Its part of why you rinse frozen foods before feeding, to get the mulm and some of the preservatives out of it.

Good luck with it, nice build so far.

I was just trying to say that natural would be the best way of going(in my opinion).I didn't mean to call anyone out or start an argument just wanted to say what I know best for the tank.
Chris

myVWrock;344837 wrote: I was just trying to say that natural would be the best way of going(in my opinion).I didn't mean to call anyone out or start an argument just wanted to say what I know best for the tank.
Chris

i agree with the natural approach, and it's what i recommend, but i've seen chemical work and wouldn't completely discount it. now lets stop mucking up this poor guy's thread and get on to the pictures :)

ryanh487;344840 wrote: i agree with the natural approach, and it's what i recommend, but i've seen chemical work and wouldn't completely discount it. now lets stop mucking up this poor guy's thread and get on to the pictures :)

yeha the tank is looking great, nice simple aquascape.
CHris c

One Dumm Hikk;344835 wrote: I am sorry that you have fallen victim to the "My way is the only right way, all others are wrong" mentality. Do you have a build thread? I would be interested in seeing all the non-chemical/natural ways you do things.

But, if your attitude is the prevalent attitude at Fish Scales, I will have to remember not to ever go in there. If I am going to be told my way is wrong simply because I do it a different way, then I won't ever go in there.

There are many ways to do things. And every last one of them has a drawback. Every one of them. The best that you can do or hope for is to know those drawbacks and then make an informed decision on which drawbacks you want to deal with. Doesn't make any method better/worse than any other method, just makes it different.

Aparently I rub off pretty hard on my guys because they take the natural way of doing this to heart. I apologize for his improper word. "stupid" but you should stop by the store sometime and you might just leave with a new look on your way of doing things. Peace!

Please do not take the enthusiasm of a 16 year old the wrong way, I have spoken with him.

Chris post one of your build threads, that will explain much.

Fish Scales2;344846 wrote: Aparently I rub off pretty hard on my guys because they take the natural way of doing this to heart. I apologize for his improper word. "stupid" but you should stop by the store sometime and you might just leave with a new look on your way of doing things. Peace!

Please do not take the enthusiasm of a 16 year old the wrong way, I have spoken with him.

Chris post one of your build threads, that will explain much.

i was the same way when i was 16, no harm done on my end. he's a pretty bright kid for a stubborn teen though, especially if he's the one building those custom tanks i've seen floating around ;)

ryanh487;344859 wrote: i was the same way when i was 16, no harm done on my end. he's a pretty bright kid for a stubborn teen though, especially if he's the one building those custom tanks i've seen floating around ;)

oh wait, chris #2... i take it all back :tongue: (j/k of course)

Out of curiosity, how natural is it to have a closed environment in a glass/acrylic box in your house?

Good luck with the build, it looks like you're doing the right thing and doing your research. Honestly, I would buy one of the PWC RO/DI units again, to a college student, that $100 saved can be spent on salt, coral, fish food, etc.

Back