Reef Keeper II?

izib

Market
Reaction score
So I think its time to spend more money.

For my bday I got a Red Sea wavemaker and am was given the money to get a Milwaukee ph controller.

Everything in my tank seems to love the wavemaker, and I need the ph controller for my ca reactor. However, now Im thinking I could return the wavemaker and get a reef keeper or auqucontroller for about $90 more.

Any pros or cons to either of the two devices?
Any other devices?
Or should I keep the wavermaker and get the ph controller?

Also, Ive noticed multiple power buys, any chance of another one soon? If not where is a good place to get it from?

Zach

I love my ReefKeeperII... I even have one on my freshwater planted tank.
Don't forget, the RK2 can be a wavemaker AND pH controller.

how about a little run down on this ....was thinking about getting one now will my milwalkee ph moniter not work with it...thanks for any help:unsure:

Big D wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Well, you most likely won't need a separate monitor, it has the capability built in. Your prob from your monitor would work with it as long as it's a standard prob which would save you a little cash. If your going to run a calcium reactor, you may still want to use the monitor though. </span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Big D</span>
...thanks an yes i do plan on adding the calcium reactor..on also..looked at the rk2 at the lfs..an now wish i had got it...so is it an easy set-up..

This is just IMO here, but the RK2 looks better, but can't do as much as the ACJr. The ACJr allows for a few more direct power ports (for more money), has a programming interface and has logging software that is shipping. The RK2 is great looking versus a pretty ugly ACJr. So if you are like some of us and plan to stick your controller out by the aquarium for all the world to see, I would go with the RK2. However if you only care about pure functionality or for some reason need a programming interface, the ACJr is the way to go.

Thanks for the comments guys.

A few more questions though...
-Would a pinpoint/Milwaukee Ph controller do anything that this unit will not do as far as controlling Ph with a ca reactor?
-will my red sea wave maker do anything that this unit wont do?

As for looks, I'm going to try not to be a dork on this one and hide my equipment from view. No laughing when I post pictures in a week with it stuck to the front of my stand!

If anyone knows about the ACJr, I'm having a hard time understanding the power situation with it. It has the standard 8 outlet power strip and you can add extra 4 or 8 outlet strips but are all of these running off of the same circuit? I really liked the fact that on RK2 you can put things on another breaker (1/2 hp chiller). Also, can you fully control 16 devices with this? I was thinking and 8 outlets isn't enough to fully control everything I have but most of the other stuff wouldn't need to be controlled. Also, the ACJr seems to be a bit more since everything costs extra with it, is it worth the price? Yet another note, the RK2 people seem to be a bit more friendly and personal.

izib wrote: A few more questions though...
-Would a pinpoint/Milwaukee Ph controller do anything that this unit will not do as far as controlling Ph with a ca reactor?
I would not run this to control a Reactor. First I don't believe the unit can control the solinoid and second you are going to want two PH monitors or rather one monitor and one controller. One for the tank and one for the reactor. Reactors run very acidic and you want to know if any of that leaking into your tank... i.e. your PH in your tank is going down.

izib wrote: will my red sea wave maker do anything that this unit wont do?
The wavemaker on the RK2 is good and will replace the Red Sea.

izib wrote: As for looks, I'm going to try not to be a dork on this one and hide my equipment from view. No laughing when I post pictures in a week with it stuck to the front of my stand!
Some mount it very prominently into the stand. Personally, I use a car window mounting kit that is suctioned to the back of the aquarium. I then swing it out so you can see it when you look on the side of the aquarium. Cheap mounting for about $30 and it looks nice... at least to me. Not as slick as some of the in cabinet designs though.

izib wrote: If anyone knows about the ACJr, I'm having a hard time understanding the power situation with it. It has the standard 8 outlet power strip and you can add extra 4 or 8 outlet strips but are all of these running off of the same circuit?
You can buy one 8 channel and one 4 channel for the ACJr and each of these can run off a seperate power outlet.

The RK2 has a similar function, but you lose a power slot on the 8 channel controller when you do this. Basically, you plug the RK2 expansion port into a power outlet and into the 8 channel controller as well. The expansion port can pulls power from a seperate outlet, but it is turned on/off by one of the channels on the RK2 controller. The expansion outlet has 2 power outlets. So you lose one on the controller and gain 2 giving you a total of 9 power outlets. I personally use cheap surge protectors to expand the RK2. My heaters are plugged into a surge protector and that is plugged into the RK2 so I only use one controller port for two heaters. I put my MH lights on the expansion port, but my chiller will eventually go there.

izib wrote: I really liked the fact that on RK2 you can put things on another breaker (1/2 hp chiller). Also, can you fully control 16 devices with this?
You can control 8 outlets on the RK2 and 12 on the ACJr, but you have to spend an extra $125 or so picking up a seperate 4 port power outlet for the ACJr which is probably not worth it.

izib wrote: I was thinking and 8 outlets isn't enough to fully control everything I have but most of the other stuff wouldn't need to be controlled.
Things like skimmers and return pumps are not even hooked into my RK2. I ended up using a DJ power controller for that. Anything that is always on pretty much ended up on the DJ controller.

izib wrote: Also, the ACJr seems to be a bit more since everything costs extra with it, is it worth the price? Yet another note, the RK2 people seem to be a bit more friendly and personal.
The ACJr and RK2 are pretty much the same price for the same features (Controller, temp, PH and 8 port controller, computer interface). At reefgeek.com you can get the a package for $289 the same RK2 setup is $317.

I ended up with the RK2 myself, but the good news is you really can't go wrong with whatever you purchase. I will say that if you plan on showing off your controller, the RK2 wins hands down. Some people are more interested in it than the tank. Very high "trick" factor with this device. If you want pure functionality, ACJr is better IMO.

Some quick pics of my setup:

http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/HPIM3279.JPG" alt="" />
[IMG]http://www.cameroncole.com/digital/HPIM3283.JPG" alt="" />

<span style="color: black;">Cameron,</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">Thanks for the very detailed post.</span>
<span style="color: black;">I&#8217;m lost on one thing though, the ca reactor. I&#8217;ve been running my reactor only using a ph monitor and recently using no monitor as mine died. I know doing either of those things is asking for disaster. But... Will a ph controller not take care of this situation? I wasn&#8217;t aware of needing an actual controller in reactor and another one in the tank. </span>
<span style="color: black;">My other option was to get the Milwaukee controller, are you saying this wouldn&#8217;t work either?</span>
<span style="color: black;">Would one of the outlets on the power strip not power the solenoid?</span>
<span style="color: black;">Thanks again for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. +rep added!</span>

A controller is simply a monitor with the ability to activate a solenoid. So rather than manually adjust the C02, the PH Controller constantly checks the ph and opens/closes the solenoid. The RK2 can turn on/off a port based on PH so you could use it for this purpose, but I would rather have one controller monitoring/controlling the effleunt chamber of the reactor (i.e. the Mil controller you have) and a PH setup to monitor the tank itself (the RK2). Since the RK2 logs out its data, I would rather know what my tank PH is rather than my effleunt PH in any monitoring software I ran and I would rather see the tank PH when I looked at the RK2.

You don't need both, but if you don't have two you won't know what the PH is in the reactor or what the PH is in the tank. If you want to know both, you need a PH monitor for both the reactor and for the tank. Lots of people run without a PH controller on the reactor, but I personally am not.

So would either of these units work as good as any other stand alone ph controller?

Ive never thought of controlling the ph in the ca reactor but I like that idea. Right now Im going to have to go the cheap route and only purchase one unit but will put that on the list for future upgrades.

Are other people using a ph controller and monitor like this?

I don't see where using a RKII as a pH controller would be problematic. A pH controller is just a pH meter with a plug outlet on it. It would work in the same manner as a RKII.
That being said, I had my a pinpoint controller before I bought my RKII and use the controller on the Ca+ and use the RKII as a monitor in the sump.
Had I thought about it more, I probably could of saved about $100.

Here is the one place and I am reluctant to mention it because I have never heard of this happening. The RK2 is very stable, but it does hiccup as do most computers from time to time. It has been known to stick heaters and have problems here and there. Dedicated controllers have a lot less "moving parts" so to speak and are far less likely to screw up. When dealing with effleunt that is very acidic it is probably best not to trust a microprosser controlled switch. Again, I have no proof it is a problem but I personally wouldn't chance it. Good news is you don't need a controller to run a reactor. It is just a nice to have item.

I can agree with that... a solid point.
Key thing to remember here is that with whatever device you choose to use, it's still a piece of electrical equipment that can fail at any time. There are dangers of using a controller as well... just make sure to take your design into the equation and protect your investment.

Just so you know, I posted my point before I read this link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1066276">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1066276</a>

PH Controller channel switching on and off randomly. Can I call it or what?

Thanks again Cameron,

So does everyone agree that I really cant go wrong with either one of the units?

If looks don't matter the RCjr would be the best choice do to features?

While not perfect it would for the most part work as well as a ph controller?

Again, its either a get the ph controller and keep the wavemaker or return the wavemaker and get this. Of course the entire purpose of this purchase was to get a ph controller so I could up my calcium reactor without worrying about the ph.

Make sure you check out that link I posted above. It shows why microprocessors are potentially dangerous PH controllers. Microprocessors can do funny things.

Good info +1 to Cam. I've a tangle of independent controllers and timers that seem to work well for the time being... If I add them all up I'm pretty sure I spent more than a rk2 or acjr costs :p. I think I'll go with the rkII cause my tank and I are both pretty shallow...

Back