Reef Lighting Noob...please Help!

You'll be able to keep the items you want with either MH or T5 (or combo). Many of the "off brand" fixtures do just fine and you can usually save a few bucks going that route. With the items on Ebay you just need to make sure you get the brand or manufacturer of the fixture and do a quick search.

I have the Nova Pro Extreme 6 x54 watts over my 120 which is 24" wide. I really like it and have SPS growing in the top portion of my tank. Less heat, great color options, inexpensive to buy compared to anything else out there, comes with fans, etc. I changed out 2 stock actinics with ATI bulbs and 1 10K bulb with an ATI bulb-looks superb with higher PAR.

FYI-These have contoured reflectors-not individual ones, which to me isn't a big deal. I know that there is debate out there that individual reflectors are better, but all I know is that my sps are doing well.

When I was looking, I thought about MH but I didn't want to have to buy a chiller to keep the heat down and electricity costs. I know people like MH for shimmers, but coming from PCs, I don't know the difference.

I think you'd be good with T5 Nova Pro Extreme 6 x 54 watts over your 12" space. You can keep pretty much anything you want. With PCs, you can keep softies and LPS fine. With SPS and clams, I'd definitely choose T-5s or MH. I do wish that I got an 8 bulb set (don't know if they exist) only because the very front of my sandbed doesn't get much light. But otherwise, very happy.

Thanks guys!
And you are right Barbara...Thanks for knocking me around a bit:bash: ...:master: I just need to do it...pull the trigger.You see what time it is...I need to get passed this!
Gonna roll the dice on this combo and see how it goes. I am not too concerned with the MH heat for some reason. The tank is in the basement level of my home and it stays pretty cool. I am also buliding a 30gl sump/fuge which is pretty substantial volume for a 75 gallon tank. Hopefully I wont have to get a chiller. If I do...I will get a Brandon style chiller (a fan).

So there it is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180227605129&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008">HERE.</a>

I will order it Monday morning[I]...</em>
<u>[I](unless someone talks me out of it.):confused2: </em></u>

chauwall;159606 wrote: I have the Nova Pro Extreme 6 x54 watts over my 120 which is 24" wide. I really like it and have SPS growing in the top portion of my tank. Less heat, great color options, inexpensive to buy compared to anything else out there, comes with fans, etc. I changed out 2 stock actinics with ATI bulbs and 1 10K bulb with an ATI bulb-looks superb with higher PAR.

FYI-These have contoured reflectors-not individual ones, which to me isn't a big deal. I know that there is debate out there that individual reflectors are better, but all I know is that my sps are doing we

When I was looking, I thought about MH but I didn't want to have to buy a chiller to keep the heat down and electricity costs. I know people like MH for shimmers, but coming from PCs, I don't know the difference.

I think you'd be good with T5 Nova Pro Extreme 6 x 54 watts over your 12" space. You can keep pretty much anything you want. With PCs, you can keep softies and LPS fine. With SPS and clams, I'd definitely choose T-5s or MH. I do wish that I got an 8 bulb set (don't know if they exist) only because the very front of my sandbed doesn't get much light. But otherwise, very happy.

Thanks, WOW...a testimonial! An owner! A satisfied user!
Hold that order...
Did you change the bulbs out immediately? Are they <u>that</em></u> bad? I have not even priced bulbs. Why cant they sell fixtures with quality bulbs for cryin out loud</em>.

As Mufret suggested, I asked the seller about bulb options. The fixtures are sold with the Current bulbs only. No upgrades.

hmmm....

:bash2: :bash2: :bash2: :aww: :cheers: :bash2: :bash2: :bash2: :cheers:

Back