Reef Napalm

Ok guys so I got some Rooto Lye and have some Kalkwasser on hand. I've made my first batch of Reef Napalm and will put it to use this evening.

If anybody is in need of some of this, bring me a cup (with lid) to mix it in and I'll gladly make you a batch. No sense in everybody going out and spending the $5 for the Rooto Lye and the calcium hydroxide.

Thought I would post up my progress on using Reef Napalm created from the formula of 100ml RO/DI water mixed with 1 teaspoon of lye and 2 teaspoons of kalkwasser (or pickling lime).

I had quite a few things to test this on but mainly aptasia and teal palys that had gotten out of control. In the case of the aptasia, my experience with using this formula did not yield any better results than using just kalkwasser paste on them. In fact, it didn't do as well. Several of these have required 3 or 4 dosings in order to kill them whereas I've been able to kill with 1 dose of kalkwasser paste.

For the Teal Palys...the story is a little different. I found this formula to be equal in killing power as just kalkwasser paste or by injecting them directly with vinegar. I won't say it was any more powerful but all of the single dose polyps have died with the one dose.

To be clear....I used the formula above and dose individual heads with all flow cut off from the tank for a period of 30 -60 minutes.

I thought this might be helpful to those with similar issues.

Jeff,
Just for clarification, Reef Napalm does not include any kalkwasser. It is a straight 2 times normal solution of RODI mixed with sodium hydroxide, nothing else.

That does not mean anyone can't try whatever they wish. But, I coined the term Reef Napalm for the stuff back in this thread, which is stickied in the Reef Discussion Forum. I believe the original formula is 1/3 cup Rooto mixed with 1 liter RODI.

The original recipe and idea is not mine, anyways, but came from an obscure web page I found while researching aiptasia treatments. That web page is in the below thread as well.

I have not found adding Kalk to be of any additional benefit, and have always stuck to the original Lye/RODI formula, which is still the best chemical pest eliminator for a reef tank I have ever come across.

showthread.php

Thanks Dave. I looked back at your thread and somebody (Ralph maybe) had posted some additional information that included the formula that I stated above. That's where I got it from.

I may try your formula and see if it yields any better results.

I did the straight RO/DI and Rooto with pretty good success. But the best solution is to not let those *******s in to start with. LOL. Going 100% base rock on my new build. I don't care how long it takes. :)

Did you inject the body with a syringe? The only thing I've ever had to live and need additional dosing is xenia. The ap's that I used it on were killed 100% of the time.

Mikesmith34;970586 wrote: Did you inject the body with a syringe? The only thing I've ever had to live and need additional dosing is xenia. The ap's that I used it on were killed 100% of the time.

No. I shut down all pumps in the system. I gave each polyp a heavy drop of liquid/paste using a dropper from one of my test kits. I allowed that to sit for 30-45 minutes before allowing the pumps to turn back on.

porpoiseaquatics;970616 wrote: No. I shut down all pumps in the system. I gave each polyp a heavy drop of liquid/paste using a dropper from one of my test kits. I allowed that to sit for 30-45 minutes before allowing the pumps to turn back on.

I think that is your problem buddy. Draw it up with a syringe with a needle on it and inject that rascal right in the growth shoot. It gets the solution down to the footing and it WILL kill it. The needle is key to get the solution inside the subjects try that and I think you will see a much better result

Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age but if someone can come up with a better way to adminster this I'm all ears, aside from using a standard syringe and my arm (not easy to reach in a bigger tank). Maybe I'll come up with a longer plunger of some sort. Also, be careful how much and where you use this, my coralline algae bleached white wherever this stuff touched the live rock.

Reefcrazed;975387 wrote: Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age but if someone can come up with a better way to adminster this I'm all ears, aside from using a standard syringe and my arm (not easy to reach in a bigger tank). Maybe I'll come up with a longer plunger of some sort. Also, be careful how much and where you use this, my coralline algae bleached white wherever this stuff touched the live rock.

You can make an extension for the tip of the applicator syringe with a piece of rigid airline tubing. Pass an end over a flame so the plastic gets soft, then push the applicator tip into that end. Let it cool, and it should have a good friction fit.

FWIW, I don't inject stuff individually, but just cover what I want to kill with the Napalm. Has always worked for me.

And I guarantee your coralline algae isn't bleached, it's dead.

Back